cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Duvain
Adept I

Ryzen 9 5900x Windows 10 boot loop

Hi there, yesterday i have recieved from AMD my new Ryzen 9 5900x this are the spec of my PC

Motherboard: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Formula Bios Version 3402
Memory: 32Gb HyperX Predator DDR4 3600Mhz
2 x 1TB SSD Samsung 970 Evo Plus
Video Card: MSI RTX2080 Gaming Trio
Cooler: Asus ROG RYUJIN 360

While I was waiting for the Ryzen 9 5900x, I installed a Ryzen 5 3600x just to boot the PC and update the bios, the computer ran for 4 months without any problems.

Today I replaced Ryzen 5 3600x with 9 5900x and ...

It ran for no more than 4 hours and then Windows 10 stopped booting, as Subject says the computer is in a boot cycle.
The pc starts, does the POST and then tries to start Windows 10, pio restarts and tries to repair the Windows installation, without succeeding because it restarts.

Attempting to reinstall Windows with a USB stick also fails with a reboot.

The CPU is in stock, no oveclok.

I tried to do a Clear Cmos, to load the optimized settings from the BIOS, starting in safe mode, same problem.

I tested the RAM one by one with Memtest X86 and one thing I noticed is that Memtest X86 only worked by selecting the single core process, in multi core it crashed.

So I tried to disable a CCD via the BIOS and windows started, obviously with only 6 cores....

If I try to reactivate the CCD the problem returns.

I don't know what else to do, at the moment i have put the Ryzen 5 3600x back and the computer works fine, Memtest X86 also works in multi core.

Did I get a failed CPU ??

0 Likes
10 Replies
xmadmike
Adept III

try this : 

MSconfig (in windows obv.) start, advanced options, select number of processors, set to max (12/24) ok & restart.

0 Likes
ArthurNYC
Journeyman III

Normally, it is not allowed to change CPU in Windows 10 Home/Pro, digital licensing is paired to your CPU. Windows needs to be installed from scratch again.

0 Likes

Thank you for the responses.

The problem is that i cannot start nor reinstall Windows at all, as i said the pc is in a boot loop even with the USB stick to reinstall windows.

The OS start ONLY if i disable one CCD ( downgrading the cores from 12 to 6 ), as soon as i re enable the CCD the problem is the same boot loop.

In the 6 hours or so when the pc was working the idle temperature was about 38C and not more than 71c in Cinebench R32 and Prime95, the power saving profile for Windows 10 was AMD Ryzen Balanced.

I do not really have a clue as of now..but the PC works perfectly with the spare Ryzen 5 3600x that is in now.

0 Likes

Ok, things went bad, i think that the Ryzen 9 is dead, today i've swapped back the Ryzen 9 and prior to that i've reinstalled and activated Windows 10 Pro, cleared cmos.

Putting back the Ryzen 9 gave me the same results, CCD Control to Auto equal boot loop, CCD Control on CCD1 boot ok.

In the last change of the CCD Contol back to Auto during a System Repair of Windows 10 the PC rebooted and the Q-CODE of the ASUS board was stuck to Code 90: Check CMOS.

I've tried a CLEAR CMOS, removed power to the PC and removed the CR2032 battery for 1 hour, still the same problem, so as a last resort i've put back the Ryzen 5 3600x and the PC went to Windows with not problems at all.

I have opened a RMA Request to AMD, this CPU has arrived three days ago and today with no overclock good temp at idle and at load, is dead..well done AMD! 

0 Likes

he meant to install windows WITH the 5900, not with 3xxx then swap proc.
on a side note, disable CCD, follow the step i meantionned above, shutdown PC, swap proc, enable CCD, boot up

0 Likes

Hi and tank you for the response, as i said with the Ryzen 9 5900x the PC DO NOT POST anymore, the Q-CODE is 90: Check CMOS, and it stays there for as long one keep the PC on.

With the Ryzen 5 3600x the PC is working rock solid, sso Ryzen 9 is fault.

0 Likes

So just an update, AMD accepted the RMA of the processor and replaced it after inspecting and testing it, it was dead ..

In the next day i will swap the Ryzen 5 3600x with the 5900x, any suggestion to do that in the correct way?

0 Likes

Before you swap them don't forget to reset the bios setting to default. 

0 Likes
Klodeckel23
Journeyman III

Greetings and happy new year everyone.

I had similar problems after switching my 3900xt to a 5900x and it almost drove me crazy.

For a short period it worked fine but then ...

bsods , bluescreens... sometimes almost not mentionable but then regularly...

It ended with bsod-restart when trying to enter windows on a startup. I was trapped in an infinite boot-loop.

I tried every guide availaible, thought it was wrong XMP Profile with the RAM or whatever solution/guide was offering by changing certain options in my BIOS and I was sure I could stabilize my system but it got worse...

I was just about to RMA my MB or CPU or RAM( at this point still not sure which part was causing the problem ) then I read a solution to deactivate CCD... and BAM system stable no problems at all ...

To make a long story short ... what was causing the problem was a user ( nooblike me ^^ )using ryzen master ( before the cpu upgrade ) and not resetting the changes within RM.

<< I got the system working again by deactivating CCD and then resetting ryzen master, activating CCD again and all problems where gone >>

Maybe this experience will help before going through a non necessary RMA process

bairstowpope
Journeyman III

Hey people, I need some advice here. But first, spec time:

• Motherboard: Asus Rog Crosshair VIII Hero
  • CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
  • Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280
  • RAM: 64 GB (4x16) G.Skill Ripjaws V, 3600 MhZ, CL 16
  • GPU: Asus Tuf RTX 3080
  • SSD: 1TB Samsung 980 Pro
  • PSU: be quiet! Straight Power Platinum 1000W

I am a Gamer and I have played games. I bought the 3600 as a placeholder and I decided that I'd rather use all the other components that have been sitting around since November and take the financial hit and maybe recover half of my investment when I sell it second hand. 

0 Likes