cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

devinprovost
Adept I

Ryzen 7800x3D - Constant Freezes when GPU in Top PCIe Slot

So I've recently bought the Ryzen 7800X3D / Gigabyte B650 Gaming x AX v2 / G.Skill Flare X5 Series 32GB DDR5-6000 bundle from microcenter and built my PC using it.

Power supply is a Corsair RM850x for reference.

I swapped everything out and formatted my OS Drive with a fresh WIndows Install.

On initial purchase I transferred my EVGA 3060ti XC in this setup, and was immediately having issues with the computer power cycling and freezing in BIOS. I was able to Boot into windows sometimes for anywhere from 0s - 5min  before the PC would power cycle. If instead of letting the PC boot to windows and I go to BIOS, the PC display will freeze after a small amount of time (0s - 5 min) and need a manual powercycle.

I tried everything I could find at this point, DDU and reinstall (i reformtatted OS drive, but maintained a few SSDs with programs/games from old pc)

BIOS update, Chipset updates, Memtest86 on ram (Pass),

Now the Power Supply / GPU worked absolutely fine in the old build so I had a hard time believing these were the issues,

and the PC would actually function and be stable with the GPU placed in one of the bottom PCIe slots.

I ended up going back and swapping out the motherboard and was receiving these same exact issues, even down to the GPU working fine in the bottom PCIe slot.

I've been running with GPU in Bottom PCI for a month or two now with no issues.

Now I'm trying to upgrade my GPU to one that doesn't fit in the bottom slot, and this issue is keeping me from being able to use the new GPU.

Should I be looking at RMA'ing the CPU and switching that out? Is this something that could be the memory, even with a passing memtest?

Did I miss any necessary information? Please let me know!

Tags:7800x3d, display freeze, top pcie slot,GPU in top slot,PC Freeze when GPU in top PCIe

0 Likes
1 Solution

The 7800X3D supports up to 24 PCIe lanes, so theoretically it should be able to run a 16x graphics card and two 4x NVMe drives off the CPU regardless of the confusing wording on that Gigabyte page. And as you stated, removing the top two NVMe drives and only using the bottom M.2 off the chipset didn't fix the problem.

Likewise, you've tried two different motherboards, and two different GPUs, all with the same behavior.

If a minimal install still exhibits the same problem, and by minimal I mean no drives, no accessories, no EXPO, default BIOS settings, only CPU, RAM and GPU, and you still get freezing and/or rebooting just sitting in the BIOS menu, then logic dictates the only part left it could be is the CPU.

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT

View solution in original post

10 Replies

How many drives are pcie, may be using up too many pcie lanes?

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, NM790 2TB, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
432hz
Challenger

Looks like your mobo supports either an NVMe SSD or a GPU in the top slot -- not both (if I'm understanding the spec page correctly). Try moving the NVMe SSD to one of the other 2 slots.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B650-GAMING-X-AX-V2-rev-1x/sp

b650.PNG

schematic.PNG

These are the slots my 2 M.2 drives are currently in.

So I've actually moved my NVME drives down to the bottom 2 drives and the problem still persists. Although I haven't tried with only 1 NVMe drive plugged in, so maybe its worth attempting only having M2C. Although I'd be surprised if the motherboard couldn't support 2 nvme drives & GPU in the top PCI slot.

I also haven't seen any other people posting issues running an NVME and gpu.

0 Likes
FunkZ
Paragon

Adding to @432hz observation above, the bottom two PCIe slots in that board are gen 3.0 x1 so you are completely neutering your GPU by using it in those slots.

I know, it's so sad I'm thinking its gotta be something with the CPU, like the one socket/pin isn't connecting for that PCIe Lane because memtest86 passed, top pcie works w/ USB extender, and bottom pcie works with GPU. Maybe power supply? Just doesn't add up why GPU in top slot is the determining factor

0 Likes

The 7800X3D supports up to 24 PCIe lanes, so theoretically it should be able to run a 16x graphics card and two 4x NVMe drives off the CPU regardless of the confusing wording on that Gigabyte page. And as you stated, removing the top two NVMe drives and only using the bottom M.2 off the chipset didn't fix the problem.

Likewise, you've tried two different motherboards, and two different GPUs, all with the same behavior.

If a minimal install still exhibits the same problem, and by minimal I mean no drives, no accessories, no EXPO, default BIOS settings, only CPU, RAM and GPU, and you still get freezing and/or rebooting just sitting in the BIOS menu, then logic dictates the only part left it could be is the CPU.

I agree with @FunkZ.

Micro Center is good about returns / exchanges (14 days on CPUs IIRC) -- you might be able do a simple CPU exchange with them rather than going through the RMA process.

I ordered a new cpu to test as sadly I'm out of the microcenter return window, and with a cup swap everything is stable. Thanks so much everyone for replying I was losing my sanity

Pcie add-in cards (sound, wifi, usb) using up lane allocation?

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, NM790 2TB, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

I use a PCIe USB extender, but the issue persists even without it, so it can't be that.

The NVMe Drives were a possible contender, but I've tried iwth only 1 and tried all 3 slots.

0 Likes