cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

CrispyCrunch
Adept II

Ryzen 5900x: System constantly crashing/restarting WHEA-Logger ID 18 and critical error Kernel-Power

Mainboard: MSI x570 Unify
Mainboard-BIOS: 7C35vA82 (Beta version)
CPU: Ryzen 5900x
RAM: Crucial Ballistix BL2K32G36C16U4B 3600 MHz, 64GB (32GB x2)
Drive: M.2 Samsung 970 Evo+ 1TB SSD
Graphics: SAPPHIRE Nitro+ Radeon RX 5700 XT
PSU: be quiet straight power 11 750w Platinum
Chipset driver: 2.9.28.509 (released 2020-11-09)

I first assembled the PC with a Ryzen 3800x a week ago because it was unclear if and when I would get the Ryzen 5900x I ordered. Worked with the included AMD Prism Wrath CPU cooler for one week without any problems.

- Today I installed a Ryzen 5900x and a Scythe Fuma 2 CPU cooler.
- After 20 min the first crash/restart with the following entries in the Event Viewer: WHEA-Logger ID 18 and critical error Kernel-Power ID 41.
- Happens irregularly again and again, sometimes after minutes, sometimes longer: Windows freezes for a few seconds and then the PC reboots. Doesn't matter if load or not.
- CPU temperature between 30 and 40 °C
- Updated to BIOS and chipset driver mentioned above: Problem still exists
- XMP Profile disabled (RAM on 2600 MHz): problem still exists
- CMOS Reset: Problem still exists

Either there is a compatibility problem of something with the CPU, or the CPU is defective?
What to do? Really frustrating.

2 Solutions

Im having a similar issue, x570 aorus and 5600x. Have same errors on windows. 

Disable CBP and PBO and run it at default settings (3.7 ghz and xmp on). That works for me. 

View solution in original post

I got a new angle on this. So deactivating PBO and CBS definetely works, PC was running stable for a week now. But you'll loose performance.

So I wrote to the MSI support and the AMD support.

MSI suggested to try increasing the DRAM Voltage by 0.05 V, which I did. System seems to be stable, no crashes so far - neither in idle or while gaming.

View solution in original post

947 Replies
buildorbust
Adept II

Tsmc 7nm not perfect. 

0 Likes

Hi, My first 2 weeks with a 5900X were very stable, but then suddenly started getting WHEA Cache Hierarchy Error, Bus/Interconnect Error or A fatal hardware error has occurred errors as well.

5900X BG 2042PGS

AGESA V2 PI 1.2.0.0 on Asus B550 (seems slightly better than AGESA V2 PI 1.1.9.0

Wanted to share for solidarity.

"My first 2 weeks with a 5900X were very stable"

It's pretty strange that issues appear after 2 weeks. Maybe smth was changed in your build?
If you have the latest GPU from AMD make sure that you are not running HWInfo at the same time
see https://www.overclock.net/threads/replaced-3950x-with-5950x-whea-and-reboots.1774627/post-28744361 for details

Can you also share - do you have any stable way to reproduce these issues?

0 Likes

@ivan-filippov 

Same story with me.
I'm not a computer novice with 20+ years in IT hardware service (inc board level), nothing had changed from first setup in my 5900x system, was running perfectly for 2 weeks, all stock beside memory, Hard Reset with WHEA 18 error while using Chrome.

You can stress test the CPU all day and it won't happen, it only on idle or low loads where you will get hard resets/WHEA errors.
This indicates there's a voltage drop when the CPU isn't under normal loads.

Here's the catch increasing voltages slightly does nothing beside cause way more heat on heavy loads, you will still get the WHEA.
But why doesn't it happen straight away or a few days in once the machine is setup, why 2 - 3 weeks later when nothing has change or updated in the system, to me that comes across like degradation within the CPU, more so needing consistent voltage even under lower load situations.

Reproduction of the issue is sit and wait on low loads, ie: Chrome (doing anything), Email open etc, then walk away.

I for one don't trust AMD's RMA replacement (if I could of got one) because the same problem will arise, and has for many others with their RMA replacements.

You can't put the blame on the users all the time, with what now seems to be 100's of people having the EXACT same issue with different combinations of hardware, the determining factor is these Ryzen 5 CPU's, namely the higher end CPU's.

I've been running a 10900k Intel rig since taking back my 5900x/Dark Hero, I have hammered the cpu, good overclock, completely stable, left on overnight for days, less 2 cores yes, but I'll take that over instability.

@schoolofmonkey I was never a fan of AMD or Intel. I always selected the CPUs based on specs. CPU history from my PCs:
-Intel Pentium 133
-AMD K6-2
-Intel Pentium 4
-AMD X4 965
-Intel i7-5820k
I never had any issues with CPUs before. And now I cannot build a pc for 3 months already. I understand that Zen 3 is a new architecture, I understand that it is complex. But I do not understand why AMD is silent. I mean of cause it's bad for stocks if a company make an official statement that there are some issues with a product. But in a long time perspective - the company will keep its customers because of trust.

I'm still looking to build a PC based on 5950x, but at the same time, I'm feeling that I'm becoming an Intel fan...

0 Likes

i might change to intel because of this. agesa 1.2.0.0 seems fine for a couple of weeks but when i played division 2 the reboot and bsod came back again. very frustrated with amd right now. my rma will take too long to wait for the new chip.

0 Likes
FallenTF
Journeyman III

It's the chipset driver -  2.9.28.509. I've had nothing but problems since installing it 4 days ago. Had to system restore to get back into windows today and removed it.

Edit: So, my problem was MSI has a broken download on their page for the chipset driver (for my b450) bet it's the same for you. Grab the chipset from AMD directly instead.

https://www.amd.com/en/support

Chipsets > AM4 > x570

0 Likes

Will try, that, thanks!

0 Likes

Well the chipset driver wont do anything, i have a b550e and a 5900x as well, and im random rebooting no matter what settings i choose.

0 Likes

Nope, didn't help.

Also tried all kinds of RAM settings, checked memory (no errors), unplugged and re-plugged almost everything. Last thing I'm trying is switching the RAM.

0 Likes

Disable CBP and PBO and run it at default settings (3.7 ghz and xmp on). That works for me. 

Well, i tried it bone stock settings, and it still crashed without xmp and pbo.

But now running it without xmp, pbo, cpb its like buying a 5900x but getting a 3900 in fact.

0 Likes

@Ownz wrote:

Well, i tried it bone stock settings, and it still crashed without xmp and pbo.

But now running it without xmp, pbo, cpb its like buying a 5900x but getting a 3900 in fact.

I just uploaded a thread with my explanation and partial solution. Give it a try and you might be able to run.... like a 3900 in fact

https://community.amd.com/t5/processors/system-instable-5600x-crashes-on-games-with-auto-settings-cb...

0 Likes

@Jazzinplayer wrote:

Yes, this seems to be working! Didn't have a crash in 24 hours

0 Likes

well, that's pretty good but I'm very upset with this. Like I'm running very under the desired performance and yes can wait for bios updates but what if its another issue? like chip is genuinely bad. A friend of mine just got a b550 aorus and 5600x and he is running like butter no problem whatsoever. 

Spent many hours looking for a better core ratio, got 4.1 ghz and xmp pretty stable, at least was ok. 2 hours gaming and got a crash again on Rogue Company which is pretty low requirements.  Tried with different RAM and problem was the same. If I turn CBP on and disable xmp I still crash, on games. I can pass cinebench, 5 min of prime 95, ryzen master stress test. NO Crash. But games is a no no. 

I ordered a Mobo replacement from amazon, gonna build the whole system AGAIN(would be the fourth time). if problem is exactly the same, then chip is faulty and will have to RMA which will take like 3 to 6 weeks to get a new one back, if I even get a replacement from them or vendor...

Or just go back to my intel build and get this **bleep** thing out of my sight forever

0 Likes

Have you initiated the warranty claim?

0 Likes

Can only pass on some experience I had in that once had a similar issue and it was the graphics card not seated perfectly so when I went an played certain games I would get blue screened. A gentle push resolved this. 

The only other thing I would suggest is your power supply is this supplying enough under load so do you have all the power connectors plugged into the Motherboard. Worth checking they are all seated correct as well. Hope things work out for you doing a rebuild is a pain.

0 Likes

@mickyfin wrote:

Can only pass on some experience I had in that once had a similar issue and it was the graphics card not seated perfectly so when I went an played certain games I would get blue screened. A gentle push resolved this. 

The only other thing I would suggest is your power supply is this supplying enough under load so do you have all the power connectors plugged into the Motherboard. Worth checking they are all seated correct as well. Hope things work out for you doing a rebuild is a pain.

In my error searching process I've removed and re-inserted the graphics card several time, don't think this is the issue.

The system is running stable under load, so I don't think it's a power supply issue. Crashes mostly happend in idle or during internet surfing.

Will start a ticket at mainboard manufacturer and AMD directly anyways. Not having the boost options is no permanent solution.

0 Likes

@CrispyCrunch wrote:

@mickyfin wrote:

In my error searching process I've removed and re-inserted the graphics card several time, don't think this is the issue.

The system is running stable under load, so I don't think it's a power supply issue. Crashes mostly happend in idle or during internet surfing.

Will start a ticket at mainboard manufacturer and AMD directly anyways. Not having the boost options is no permanent solution.

Yo @CrispyCrunch check my latest update to my post, I tried to tag you. Might sound interesting to you

0 Likes

Processor Supports 2nd and 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen™

this motherboard does not officially support 5000 processors. Only there is a BIOS firmware that does not work

0 Likes

Yo @CrispyCrunch  I found the solution to my problem. Check it out on my thread, it was some cable extensions I was using, at the end PSU related. 

But I wanted to tell you to check out your gpu installation, it might sound dumb but believe me, this might be your problem.

The shield thing they added to the GPU slot is very tricky, not sure your MSI board has it but check this **bleep** out. You might think GPU is properly inserted but many times is not. There is a double lock system on this design and you gotta make sure is actually locked on both ends. 
I noticed it because my gtx 1060 worked well but my 2080 didn't. The 2080s has a thicker pcb and it's tricky, you insert the card and the right lock pops/clicks and you think is fine. But on the left there is a 1/20 of an inch left to push in and lock the other bracket. Check the picture and push as you would with a DDR4 stick.

The thick shield thing they added is pretty tricky, will make you think GPU is OK but is not, also check your PSU/Cables. Detailed info on my pos

tmb_locking.jpg

0 Likes

And how this solution affects cpu performance?

I'm a linux user.

Don't know what WHEA is but My pc reboots constantly. Cant fint the solution for 2 weeks

0 Likes

The solutions (both) quite significantly reduce the power of the CPU.

0 Likes

So not a real solution. :)

Is there any information if this is some kind of bios, driver ... software problem or maybe hardware problem? Is there any information that there is faulty 5900x batch?

I'm thinking of returning my cpu to be honest

0 Likes

I am returning mine and will use my 3800x until they sort this **bleep** out. Could potentially be fixed with a bios update but it could also be a faulty batch. I see no reason to gable not and will simply return mine.

Thats it!

I am totally over it and now going to return my 5900x. I am not going to be waiting for msi/amd to pull their head out of their asses. The worst part is when you think you have it stable, its really not. And will crash/have issue with booting. 

Pbo off (also played with the curve offset advanced mode, to no avail) C state turned off, and it has to be at 1.1v or it will crash 100% of the time. Cant actually be asked.  

X570 Unify btw.

I am also buying a 3700x until then, unless some of you 200iq people know something i dont. 

Read my post. Just skip to the end and read that part I typed. There is no escaping this error, not with any Ryzen. Maybe a Zen+ like the 2700X might be stable. Like my post is titled: "WHEA ERROR 18, Again. I'm Done!" 

"It worked before you broke it!"
0 Likes

"I don't know about most people but personally I like to built it and forget it. Not build it, diagnose it, rebuild it, diagnose it, replace hardware to see if that's the cause, re install the OS 20 times, etc. Spend my life on this forum typing to the wall. Less time at board meetings more time in R&D, AMD"

God **bleep**, so what do i do then? Buy intel? Where is the fault?

Like you say i just want to plug and play. And i have alot of friends with a 3700x who have not have a single problem.

So i am trying that. 

I have given up and returned the 5900X. Now when I updated the BIOS to version 3001 for Asus MB and my existing 3600XT, I can no longer play games as it reboots. I'm very frustrated and has turned my build into a non gaming rig.

It reboots even with CBP, PBO and DOCP disabled. It passes without issues with Windows Diagnostic Memtest and 3dMark Stress Test

Same issue with a Ryzen 5 5600X, on an MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS board.

It's been a nightmare. I replaced the PSU, the RAM, the NVME SSD thinking it would have something to do with those parts. Nothing helped. Disabled CPB and PBO, we'll see if that helps.

Is there any information about this being a fixable issue through BIOS updates, or just straight up broken hardware?

I have the following suggestion. 

Go on youTube. 
Look up YouTube Tech Reviewers such as Gamers Nexus, Linus, LevelOneTechs, Hardware Unboxed etc etc. 
See if they reviewed the CPU / Motherboard etc you have. 
Watch their review,
Contact them via YouTube and or Twitter. 
Ask them what is going on with your system since theirs mostly works in their review. 

If they start to hear about problems from more people, they might investigate. 
It does not seem that there is any other way to get anything investigated and fixed quickly any more. 
Good luck.

@colesdav wrote:

I have the following suggestion. 

Go on youTube. 
Look up YouTube Tech Reviewers such as Gamers Nexus, Linus, LevelOneTechs, Hardware Unboxed etc etc. 
See if they reviewed the CPU / Motherboard etc you have. 
Watch their review,
Contact them via YouTube and or Twitter. 
Ask them what is going on with your system since theirs mostly works in their review. 

If they start to hear about problems from more people, they might investigate. 
It does not seem that there is any other way to get anything investigated and fixed quickly any more. 
Good luck.

I sent an email to Steve at Gamer Nexus. He has clout and is a really good investigator, and I think he would have most luck on shedding light on what is going on. Haven't heard back though.  It is holidays though and he always seems to have his plate full and getting no sleep! Not surprised if he doesn't want to take on anything else at this time.

so i threw out my original box and evertyhing. im going to do an RMA. im over it. should have kept my 3900XT. 

how do i get the S/N and everything else without taking off the **bleep** CPU cooler and cleaning off the goop... ffs. cant believe this. 

What mobos do you guys have?

I have MSI tomahawk x570

Maybe it's something wrong with msi?

Aniut serial number.

If it's not in cpuz or something similar than probably disassemble and read from cpu is only way

0 Likes

Hi,  dunno if someone had the final answer.

In my case, newly installed 5900x on a msi mpg x570 gaming plus.

at first Computer never booted etc.
Problem was the bios, impossible to boot on bios and so, impossible to update.

Solution was to download the file, change the name, put it on all my usb key, the one that worked was the oldest usb 2.0
And finnaly with the flash button, everything was installed correctly.

After that, random crash/ reboot etc? temps and everything was fine.

Had to update again to the last beta one, and to launch only on game boost on the bios, it puts a fix value for the 5900x and then never crashed again.

0 Likes

So another MSI mobo...

If I'm correct game boost increases vcore so maybe on defaults there is something wrong with vcore.

It's another way around in my opinion. I believe that pc should be most stable at stock settings.

Started to wonder about changing my mobo to rog strix. Quite pricier but maybe msi mobo is a problem?

And about MSI suggestion...

You should tell them to go f... themselves.

I have no idea what should be de best and safety vcore.

And as I said. Disable CPB...

So maybe they should send info to every reviewer with an info that new 5900x is not performance king and it can't be compared to intel i9

"Started to wonder about changing my mobo to rog strix. Quite pricier but maybe msi mobo is a problem?"

Maybe, but this problem has been reported on ASUS boards as well (page 4 of this thread)

Sorry, but if you read the thread, you'd know it most likely has to do with the processor and not the motherboard.

To reiterate, changing processor to another will fix it. It is the processors.

0 Likes

So some faulty batch or something?

0 Likes