Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

mickeypl
Journeyman III

Ryzen 5900X and Dynatron a24

Hi,

I have an AMD Ryzen 5900X CPU installed on a Gigabyte MC12-LE0 rev1.0 motherboard. The CPU has a Dynatron A24 cooler

In idle, the CPU temperature is 28-35 degrees, but when I run the stress test, the CPU temperature reaches 90 degrees after a few seconds and does not go up any more.
The CPU clock speed when the CPU is at 90 degrees is around 4.2GHz

As far as I know, the maximum temperature for this CPU is 90 degrees.
The CPU I have was bought used and was described as fully functional.
The description of this cooling states that MAXIMUM POWER is 155W and this CPU has a TDP of 105W.

I wonder if I have a problem with the CPU or maybe with the cooling.
Currently, I installed this cooler with the original thermal paste.
I'm wondering whether to use another one (Arctic MX-6) and perform the stress test again.

What do you think could be the problem?

TIA! 

0 Likes
4 Replies
FunkZ
Paragon

The Dynatron A24 is a 2U (60mm) server cooler with 4 copper heatpipes, it's made to fit in a restricted rack space not be a great ATX Desktop cooler. You are likely reaching thermal throttling using this cooler.

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
0 Likes

This CPU is installed in a 2U chassis.
This is my home server. I think I will have to think about water cooling like Dynatron L35 or L34

0 Likes

Most server chassis have case fans to move air front to rear at high speed (and high noise) and are installed in cabinets with under floor cooling that feed the front of the case with cold air.

If your home server environment relies on ambient air cooling with little ventilation in a standard 2U chassis then it is not surprising that the CPU is reaching those temperatures.

Why not install the processor in a standard tower style case so you can take advantage of traditional ATX size coolers? Is 2U really all the space you can allocate?

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
0 Likes

The processor is installed in a 2U Supermicro CSE-825 chassis. This server is installed in a rack. I have air conditioning in this room. The temperature in the room is about 19 degrees.

The best solution to this problem will be to install server water cooling

0 Likes