Processors

ajrobson
Journeyman III

Ryzen 5 3600 RAM issues when using dual channels

I built a new PC 4  months ago but am having issues:

MB: MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
GPU: Geforce GTX 1660 super

At first I was using Corsair VENGEANCELPX16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3600 RAM but I kept having issues with freezing and restarting, I posted online and was told the RAM wasn't on the QVL and given some overclocking options I could try. I could never get a stable system so I ordered some RAM from the QVL (G.Skill RipJaws V F4-3200C16D-16GVKB)

I'm still having the same issues, basically the only way I can have a stable PC is by using the two single channel slots on the MB (1 and 2)

I've raised a support ticket with MSI who told me to run Prime95 and 3DMark to check my CPU and GPU both run fine when I use slots 1 and 2.

I've seen a few posts online where people are are having issues with this CPU and dual channels, is there anything I need to set to get it running?

I've updated the BIOS to the latest version 7A38vB7

0 Likes
5 Replies
mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

Buy a piece of sandpaper and cut it into 1 centimeter square. Clean all DIMMs with this paper and try again. If you really have DIMM problem, this method will fix the problem.

0 Likes

use pencil eraser which is far less damaging to clean contacts.

0 Likes

OP can use erasers for RAMs not DIMMs...

0 Likes

Sorry I’m being dumb what’s the difference between the RAM and Dimm?

i don’t think it’s the actual ram sticks though as ice had the exact same issues with two different sets, first with Corsair and now with G skill 

0 Likes

By DIMM, I mean RAM ports. 

01.jpg

You can use sandpaper for DIMM blanks.

You can use an eraser for RAM DIMMs like that...

02.jpg

I wrote before it incomplete, sorry. Good-luck...

0 Likes