Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

peterq94
Adept III

Ryzen 5 3600 question about memory stock speed

Dear Community Users,

I have question about stock memory (RAM) speed on your system with Ryzen 5 3600 CPU. I heard that stock memory speed is always 21333 Mhz or 2400 Mhz. On AMD website I can see 3200 Mhz on recommendation section so my question is following if I don't want enable XMP/DOCP profile what will be my memory speed on Asus B450M-A motherboard? Why I don't want enable XMP/DOCP profile? Because it is overclocking so this not guaranteed stability of my system. Can you tell me what is your memory speed if you selected off on XMP/DOCP section? You can write what is your motherboard and memory. Thanks you very much!

Yours faithfully,
PeterQ

0 Likes
4 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

peterq94, the memory stick determines the speed.  Please download and run the free Thaiphoon Burner.  Here is mine:

pastedImage_1.jpg

The default speed is 'Speed Grade'.  My default is 2400MHz (Clock 1200MHz).  But I am running XMP 2 which is 3200MHz.  Post a screenshot of Thaipoon and Ryzen Master (RM) - simple drag-n-drop images into your reply.  My MB is MSI X399 Creation, which does not offer DOCP.  I do not recommend DOCP because I have seen too many systems unstable running it.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

Why you don't recommended DOCP? XMP is only available for Intel platform. If I buy HyperX HX426C16FB3K2/16 memory I will have speed 2666 Mhz on default? https://www.kingston.com/dataSheets/HX426C16FB3K2_16.pdf 

What memory do you recommended if I will not overclocking and I want to have the best performance?

Thanks for answer.

0 Likes

peterq94, XMP is a STANDARD published by Intel, so ASUS likes to say it IS Intel.  It is a standard.  I am running it and fortunately my BIOS does not offer DOCP.  DOCP is an ASUS invention and presented as an AMD thing - it is NOT!  I do not recommend DOCP because I have been doing this for a while (AMD Processor Forum) and seen many ASUS boards with problems caused by their modifications.

I think it is very clear what my opinion is.  Please ask the memory vendor what the chips are and default speed  If you feel XMP is OCing I do not know what to tell you.  You can see the memory I am using and I will recommend it.  As you can see it runs 2400MHz by default.   Samsung B-Dies are the secret.  Many vendors use Samsung B-Dies.  Lots of users feel they are the best.  My sticks are getting old now and better sticks are available.  Thanks much for the screenshots!  Enjoy, John.

Thank you for answer. I can see that MSI UEFI has A-XMP function so it is not original XMP. Asus named this option D.O.C.P. and you told me that is not good so Asus motherboards are not good for XMP profile and if I want more speed I should use manual settings for overclocking? I don't want overclocking because I am worried about lifespan. My new platform will be working probably very long - ten years or longer so lifespan is a key for me.

I have question about the fastest JEDEC memory for DDR4. Why a lot of motherboards don't have memory in QVL list like this: https://www.kingston.com/dataSheets/KVR32N22D8_16.pdf  or this https://www.kingston.com/dataSheets/KVR29N21D8_16.pdf   ???

This memory are always more expensive than memory with XMP profile. For me it is not logic.

What I should do? I like play computer games so performance is important for me but lifespan is more important.

I am worried also about warranty policy. On Intel platform if I use Intel XMP profile my processor warranty is ended so on AMD platform I think it is the same so I should buy memory and use JEDEC parametr?

0 Likes