cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

introibo
Adept I

PBO "On" = Minimal Benefit for Gamers?

I've been searching around various forums and finding that PBO has a minimal effect on gaming performance for the high temperature increase it creates. Some users report only a 3 to 5 FPS gain with PBO on while getting 80* C temps.

If this is true for gamers, there really isn't much of a point using PBO with your system unless you're looking to get a higher CineBench score.

PBO "Off" already yields excellent gaming performance at 65-70* C temps under full load.

What have your experiences been with gaming and PBO?

If I could gain significant FPS with PBO I would consider turning it ON to improve performance in a very demanding title, MSFS 2020.

7 Replies
Weber462
Challenger

I run mine (3x5950x) 100% 24/7 for BOINC. I just keep it all at stock. Hoping to get 7+years of life out of them.

In regards to gaming, I don't think it would be even noticeable. So to save enegy/temp, would just keep off. Im not trying to break an OC record.

introibo
Adept I

That's what makes the most sense to me. What felt misleading was that the 5950x achieves its 46,000 Passmark score with PBO "on".

I bought it thinking it was 46,000 stock. Turns out it's around 38,000 at stock. But perhaps I misinterpreted the Passmark data as being stock and it really was OC'ed/PBO.

johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

Hi,

I have it always on but on Auto settings, I dont get temps higher than 60/65 even rendering. On winter times I do set PBO to agressive in my BIOS so it can force for much longer and higher, that will push it to 70/80C while boosting 200mhz more than normal.

My cpu is a 2700X

During my video editing sessions, PBO matters a lot. But Ill do a run on heaven to check it out.

The Englishman
0 Likes
Migz-DH
Adept II

PBO 1 and 2 used to be pretty awesome for applications that are CPU-bound, but then, AMD messed up by capping EDC values in the latest AGESAs for 5000-series CPUs. That means that 5000-series chips (other than the 5800X3d) cannot be overclocked as effectively or as highly as they could a year ago.

For applications that are GPU-bound, no, overclocking via PBO or otherwise will not do much for you.

0 Likes
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

= UPDATE =

So here is my findings on Heaven benchmark

PBO Disabled: 153
PBO Auto:159
PBO aggressive: 165

Conditions of the test
PBO set in BIOS, not in Ryzen Master
Ryzen 2700X max boost in heaven 4341 (not as high as I expected)
Max temp 61ºC (not as high as I expected either)
Undervolted by offset -0,1v
Cooling AIO RoG Ryujin 240 Noctua fans at 40%

Conclusion, I believe Heaven is more GPU bound as many other games are but still, about 12fps jump is not that bad.

Ill test a render comparison when I get the chance.

johnnyenglish_2-1668817575003.png

johnnyenglish_3-1668817596652.png

this last image is just an example of the bios settings, is not actually mine.
johnnyenglish_0-1668817167701.png

The Englishman

Thanks for posting your findings! I wonder what effect it will have on CPU demanding applications such as MSFS 2020.

Also, do you think it's worth the hotter temps to get those extra frames?

0 Likes
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

I do not own Flight Simulator to test it out but it could return some results, but not that much I'm afraid.

Its not the hotter temps, its the spikes. Even with PBO aggressive, it still sits normally at 30-40 and 60-70 in gaming.

But when rendering on Davinci Resolve I see spikes up to 80 even in the winter when the PBO is Aggressive, on Auto PBO it caps out at 60-70. Power Draw also gets aggressive, spiking at 160Watts on the CPU side instead of 100-110 with PBO on AUTO.

The Englishman
0 Likes