Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Highlighted
Adept II
Adept II

Normal CPU temperatures for the 3700X

3700 x processor core in the drain shows 50-60 C, under stress load 80-90 C. Are these normal values? operating temperatures ? In AIDA64 CPU temperature in 40-50 С. CPU screen under stress.

33 Replies
Highlighted
Big Boss
Big Boss

Re: 3700x processor core

You are in normal range. The max temp of the processor is 95c so you are getting close to that. No idea what cooling you are using as you did not mention it. Some chips unfortunately run a little hotter than others and still make validation. If you are on the stock cooler that would be my guess with yours. Aftermarket coolers often will do much better than the AMD stock coolers, however your processor comes with their best prism cooler and I would expect to see a bit better temps with it. I use Coolermaster 212 Evo and it cools very well on my 3700x for the small $35 price tag. 

Before however recommending you buy another solution, what is your current solution. Also you might want to try reseating your cooler with new, quality thermal compound. Also take a really good look at the cooler base where it makes contact with the processor. There have been a quite a few reports of the stock AMD coolers having heat pipes on the bottom that are not flush enough resulting in high temps. So try these things and report back with the results and what you actually have installed and we can go from there. If you do have a stock cooler and none of this helps you could just try a 3rd party cooler. 

Highlighted
Adept II
Adept II

I have Thermaltake Riing Silent 12 Blue,TDP 150 W, thermal compound MX-4. Announced before max 95 C, Cores or CPU?).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Big Boss
Big Boss

probably have too much thermal material., MX-4 needs to be incredibly thin to work at its best

Highlighted
Big Boss
Big Boss

Then that has me a bit worried. Never used one of those coolers but my in rated for 125 watts and is getting better results. So the big question is did it ever work better and now doesn't? If it has always been that way, do check your installation again. If you are re-using this cooler from another installation are you sure the mounting hardware is okay for AM4? Also if it is older it may have a fan going out so check that. It can also be a cpu that is running too hot IMHO and should maybe get an RMA if everything else checks out. 

Highlighted
Adept II
Adept II

I'll try again with a thinner layer

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept II
Adept II

Yes, it fits AM4. RMA?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Big Boss
Big Boss

pokester wrote:

Then that has me a bit worried. Never used one of those coolers but my in rated for 125 watts and is getting better results. So the big question is did it ever work better and now doesn't? If it has always been that way, do check your installation again. If you are re-using this cooler from another installation are you sure the mounting hardware is okay for AM4? Also if it is older it may have a fan going out so check that. It can also be a cpu that is running too hot IMHO and should maybe get an RMA if everything else checks out. 

I use the clip on cooler AMD Wraith Prism which sits snugly

MX-4 means I can thrash my CPU all day long and it never gets very warm at all

I use a very thin and small amount of MX-4, literally a tiny dab

Highlighted
Adept II
Adept II

I made a layer of moss even thinner, the temperature jumped even more, in 15 minutes the stress test reached 90C

Highlighted
Big Boss
Big Boss

Re: Normal CPU temperatures for the 3700X

rayvel wrote:

I made a layer of moss even thinner, the temperature jumped even more, in 15 minutes the stress test reached 90C

Maybe you need to get an old bank card and wipe off the excess