cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

SoRadGaming
Adept I

Ecc Support on Ryzen 8000 APU

Does anyone know if the new Ryzen 8000 APU supports ECC memory? A lot of conflicting information on the AMD website it used to list it as supported and required MOBO, but now that field is gone.

AMD Ryzen™ 7 8700G8164.2GHzUp to 5.1GHz8MB16MB65W
 AMD Ryzen™ 5 8600G6124.3GHzUp to 5.0GHz6MB16MB65W
 AMD Ryzen™ 5 8500G6123.5GHzUp to 5.0GHz6MB16MB65W
 AMD Ryzen™ 3 8300G483.4GHzUp to 4.9GHz4MB8MB65W
0 Likes
1 Solution

Response and Service Request History:

Thank you for the email.

Please be informed that AMD Ryzen 5 8600G it does not support ECC.

Thank you for contacting AMD.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
FunkZ
Paragon

Historically speaking it is only the PRO series of APU that support ECC, which are typically OEM only.

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
misterj
Big Boss

SoRadGaming, in general I think that all Ryzen processors support ECC. The important thing is MB support. I suspect many boards do no not support  ECC. Please ask AMD to assure, here.Enjoy, John.

0 Likes

Need to look at your Motherboard's  QVL List for RAM Memory for your processor to see if any of the listed RAM Part numbers include support for ECC RAM Modules.

Generally, unofficially,  Ryzen processors supports ECC RAM and it is enabled to run ECC RAM.  Depends on the Motherboard whether you need a "Pro" Ryzen or a regular Ryzen processor.

Like mentioned, the Ryzen Pro are officially support ECC RAM. Like this tech article about Ryzen and ECC RAM:https://hardwarecanucks.com/cpu-motherboard/ecc-memory-amds-ryzen-deep-dive/

Screenshot 2024-02-02 102830.png

Like this Asus Support showing which Asus Motherboard's supports ECC RAM, as an example only: https://www.asus.com/support/faq/1045186/

Screenshot 2024-02-02 102830.png

So depends on which 8000 Series AMD Processor Motherboard you choose will depend if it supports ECC RAM or not.

So, yes most likely the 8000 series processor will support ECC Ram but it may depend on the Motherboard.

NOTE: According to the Asus Chart only the Pro Ryzens support ECC RAM with APUs. So not sure if you will need a 8000 series Pro processor for ECC RAM or not.

You can open a AMD SUPPORT Ticket and ask them directly if the new 8000 series APUs will have ECC Support or not from here: https://www.amd.com/en/forms/contact-us/support.html

0 Likes
SoRadGaming
Adept I

I have sent a Service Request and Contacted AMD directly,

I already have KSM48E40BD8KM RAM and Asus PRIME X670-P WIFI-CSM; both the mobo shows ECC support, and the RAM is on the compatibility chart for the mobo. So it's just a CPU confirmation left. If I don't get a response, I'll borrow one and update this thread with the results.

This is for a Server Built with Jellyfin AV1 Transcoding and More, the worst case is I get AM4 stuff instead with ECC confirmed and buy an intel Arc A310.

Normally on the QVL List it would mention if it supports ECC RAM since it doesn't show ECC SUPPORT on the list I suggest you open a Asus Support ticket and ask them if your motherboard supports ECC RAM or not with either the 7000 or 8000 series Processors.

0 Likes
SoRadGaming
Adept I

AMD Wrote back, and more evidence is clear from independent testing: none of these APUs supports ECC.

You may need to wait a few months. For example the 5700G launched 4/21, the 5750G PRO launched 6/21.

SoRadGaming, can you please post the essence of AMD's response? Thanks, John.

0 Likes

Response and Service Request History:

Thank you for the email.

Please be informed that AMD Ryzen 5 8600G it does not support ECC.

Thank you for contacting AMD.

Asus leaks PRO series G and 35W GE 8000 series processor support. (courtesy of GamersNexus) Steve mentions a blurb at the end of these being mostly OEM parts, which may complicate finding a source for one. But just in case you're still looking for ECC support and can track down a PRO series chip, it looks like they may soon be available.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91SxN7Ub5X4&t=682s