cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

j37rin
Journeyman III

BSOD stop code Microcode revision mismatch

I've been having this problems for a couple of days now and don't know what to do. I keep getting the screen your device ran into some problems and needs to restart. stop code microcode revision mismatch. Tried to reseat my RAMs, unplug any external hardware. Tried to do a clean install with the usb but it won't boot it'll just take me back to the blue screen. I can only access the BIOs as of right now. Also looked it up with Microsoft doesn't really tell me anything. Bug Check 0x17E MICROCODE_REVISION_MISMATCH - Windows drivers | Microsoft Docs  I guess it has to do with the microcode on the CPU. 

Here our my pc specs: 

AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor (water cooled)

Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard

G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 

Western Digital Blue 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive 

Sabrent Rocket 4.0 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive 

Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB GAMING OC Video Card

0 Likes
3 Replies
Tacowo
Journeyman III

did you ever find a fix, i’m having the same problem

0 Likes
MacNZ
Adept I

@j37rin wrote:

I've been having this problems for a couple of days now and don't know what to do. I keep getting the screen your device ran into some problems and needs to restart. stop code microcode revision mismatch. Tried to reseat my RAMs, unplug any external hardware. Tried to do a clean install with the usb but it won't boot it'll just take me back to the blue screen. I can only access the BIOs as of right now. Also looked it up with Microsoft doesn't really tell me anything. Bug Check 0x17E MICROCODE_REVISION_MISMATCH - Windows drivers | Microsoft Docs  I guess it has to do with the microcode on the CPU. 

Here our my pc specs: 

AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor (water cooled)

Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard

G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 

Western Digital Blue 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive 

Sabrent Rocket 4.0 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive 

Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB GAMING OC Video Card

It appears that a BIOS update didn't complete successfully. In other words, all cores don't have the same microcode (BIOS).

I would try updating the BIOS using the Q-Flash port (it's a USB port marked on the I/O shield (in blue, I think). The basic process is to download the latest BIOS, copy it to a USB drive, insert the drive in the USB port, and start the machine.

Don't rely on my process summary. Make sure to read and follow the instructions explicitly on how to use Q-Flash from Gigabyte.

Once the BIOS has been updated successfully, you should be able to boot the computer and complete your O/S install.

Hope that helps.

All the best,

=Mac=

0 Likes

CPU Microcodes are updated via BIOS updates and store in a small file on your computer either in BIOS or in OS.

"Microcode updates are generally delivered along with UEFI firmware or BIOS updates. When your computer boots up, the computer’s UEFI firmware or BIOS loads the microcode onto the CPU. However, it’s also possible for operating systems like Windows or Linux to load new microcode at boot time"

I would try either downgrading the BIOS version to see if that fixes the problem or updating to the latest BIOS Version or reinstalling the current BIOS in case it got corrupted during the installation.

0 Likes