cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

3700x constant high voltage

I recently bought my first AMD set up. Using an ASUS x570 tuf gaming plus and Ryzen 3700x. From my previous experience with Intel processors the voltage remains below 1v in idle and around 1v - 1.2v in load. My CPU is running at about 1.2v at idle and 1.4v - 1.45v under any load heavy or light.

I've update my chipset, turned off pbo, and manually set oc multipliers to 1x but still it remains.

Is this normal for a 3700x? Is there a way to keep the voltage low without using a set voltage? Seems too high for me.

2 Solutions

If you have game mode in your bios or ryzen master set it will on many boards really raise the voltage. Reset all your settings in bios and ryzen master to defaults. Then enable settings you want one at a time and see if any are the culprit in the high voltage. 

View solution in original post

I wasn't able to find a good answer searching the internet but after hours of testing settings I found what works well with the 3700x. I was able to keep the voltage under 1.4v during load and the temps down to 30c-35c idle with the stock fan and haven't hit over 60c at load with these settings.

Under performance boost

Precision Boost Overdrive -> Disabled

Precision Boost Overdrive Scalar -> Manual -> x1

Max CPU Boost Override -> 0mhz

Platform Thermal Throttle Limit -> Auto

For the voltage

VDDCR CPU Voltage -> Offsetmode -> negative offset(-) -> 0.1

And this

Performance BIAS -> None

Last but not least 

AMD chipset driver with the balanced power plan.

After installing the AMD power plans there is an option called power saver. This plan will drop the voltage drastically however there is dip in performance. Applications load much slower and generally have a slower response time.

Another update if you change the cpu usage from 100% to 99% in any of the power plans it drops the voltage drastically. Setting it to 100% causes the system to give it full power all the time even when it doesn't need it.

Someone recommended setting the performance enhancer however I found changing this to anything other than auto will allow the motherboard to override your custom settings rendering them null. It's best to keep this at auto.

As a side note Corsair's ICUE does greatly affect the idle speeds, temps, and volts. Turning it off along with other applications that pole devices can help.

The voltage still runs a little high under load with these settings but it's not constantly over 1.4v which is acceptable. The temps have also dropped by about 10c average. I noticed the cores are winding down and sleeping during idle too.

All in all running good now.

View solution in original post

13 Replies

If you have game mode in your bios or ryzen master set it will on many boards really raise the voltage. Reset all your settings in bios and ryzen master to defaults. Then enable settings you want one at a time and see if any are the culprit in the high voltage. 

Reset your BIOS, in the BIOS set Performance Enhancer to default, enable D.O.C.P., use the latest chipset driver, and use an AMD Ryzen Power Plan...  I have the same CPU and MB.

I have my BIOS tweaked just a little more and can squeeze out some great temps and great performance...  but for now let's just start with the basics

QB

It seems like you did a lot... But all you did was disable PBO (the other settings mean nothing with it disabled) and apply a modest under volt. It will certainly help

QB

0 Likes

Go back and read my full updated answer. Found several issues. A big part of it was the power plan is overriding the bios settings. Dropping the max cpu usage tones down the voltage to normal levels.

0 Likes

I wasn't able to find a good answer searching the internet but after hours of testing settings I found what works well with the 3700x. I was able to keep the voltage under 1.4v during load and the temps down to 30c-35c idle with the stock fan and haven't hit over 60c at load with these settings.

Under performance boost

Precision Boost Overdrive -> Disabled

Precision Boost Overdrive Scalar -> Manual -> x1

Max CPU Boost Override -> 0mhz

Platform Thermal Throttle Limit -> Auto

For the voltage

VDDCR CPU Voltage -> Offsetmode -> negative offset(-) -> 0.1

And this

Performance BIAS -> None

Last but not least 

AMD chipset driver with the balanced power plan.

After installing the AMD power plans there is an option called power saver. This plan will drop the voltage drastically however there is dip in performance. Applications load much slower and generally have a slower response time.

Another update if you change the cpu usage from 100% to 99% in any of the power plans it drops the voltage drastically. Setting it to 100% causes the system to give it full power all the time even when it doesn't need it.

Someone recommended setting the performance enhancer however I found changing this to anything other than auto will allow the motherboard to override your custom settings rendering them null. It's best to keep this at auto.

As a side note Corsair's ICUE does greatly affect the idle speeds, temps, and volts. Turning it off along with other applications that pole devices can help.

The voltage still runs a little high under load with these settings but it's not constantly over 1.4v which is acceptable. The temps have also dropped by about 10c average. I noticed the cores are winding down and sleeping during idle too.

All in all running good now.

AMD engineers that designed the chips set the voltages and other parameters for the processor and I suspect they know more than all the experts on the Internet put together.  I suggest AMD processors be provided ample environment (power supply, memory, etc) and allowed to run at stock settings (Clear CMOS) and do not run any vendor software.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes
swps
Adept I

It's been my experience that you can generally run a 3700x at 1.25v or lower voltage at stock speeds and with a good over clock under 1.3v.  I would suggest trying the following, make sure you're on the lastest bios, reset your bios to defaults, enable XMP/DOCP and then change your CPU voltage to manual (not offset) and set the voltage to 1.25.  Boot your system up, and load up HWINFO to check your clock rate, voltage and temps.  Run some benchmarks, I like to start with Cinebench r20.  If it passes with low temps, run r23 (which takes 10 minutes).  If you get a crash or freeze, reboot an up the voltage in .01 increments.  Repeat until stable, then move on to other benchmarks/applications/games you will use.  If you want ultimate stability, run Prime95 overnight and if she's still going strong in the morning you should be good.  However, I find that generally to be overkill for a stock setup.  If your temps are crazy high, check your cooler install and thermal grease application.  Good luck!

0 Likes

I was able to get it stable with all the overclocking on by changing the power settings. I dropped max CPU usage by 5% and set it to lower CPU speed first instead of increase fan speeds while under load.

This is my work PC and I require at least 10 apps minimum for work usually with 3 browser instances and about 15 tabs minimum open. I'm impressed with how well it handles the multitasking. No stalls in my apps and running around a solid 35c. Goes up to about 40c when I play games.

I updated the BIOS and chipset too which doesn't affect the voltage. Seems the default settings for this CPU is too keep max power running through it so it can wind up and down instantly without any hiccups. 1.4v is in specs and won't harm the CPU but it will degrade it faster. I don't mind waiting a couple of extra seconds for apps to load in order to keep my CPU running longer.

I tested it with Blender benchmarks and it still goes full speed max voltage under load which is what I expect however it winds down properly now when at idle with most cores sleeping, at low frequency, and low voltage.

I suspect the Windows 10 power plan settings are overriding the BIOS settings. I tested the CPU in Linux Mint with updated BIOS settings with voltage negative offset and OC off and it works as expected. I also noticed if I load Ryzen Master then go to BIOS and return to defaults then the OC settings are no longer on auto. Looks like Ryzen Master is changing BIOS settings even if you're not using a customer profile.

0 Likes

I still don't understand why you are making things so complex... If you want to  have your Zen2 CPU be cool and efficient, you should be running it at stock settings. This is the way they are designed.

Reset BIOS

Set Performance Enhancer to default

Enable D.O.C.P. if you want your RAM to run at full speed

Use an AMD Ryzen Power Plan

Don't even open up Ryzen Master... Just the act of opening the app makes a change in the BIOS

I have had this exact CPU and exact Motherboard for more than 8 months and have done extensive tests and extensive Verification of these tests. CineBench to verify single and multi-core boost performance. Prime95 (small FFTs) to find max temperatures. HWiNFO64 to monitor  voltages and usage (i.e. to see if  cores drop to C6 state)

I did all this to squeeze out as much performance as possible without doing a classic overclock... But in the process, I did learn how  ensure the BIOS is set in such a way as to run the CPU at it's stock design.

QB

0 Likes

Simply changing the performance enhance to default does nothing. Voltage is still too high at idle and goes to 1.4v when running just a notepad. For now the fix is setting to the power saver plan and setting max cpu load to 95%.

I can get the tuning from the bios to work in Linux Mint which leads me to believe it's something to do with the motherboard or power settings in Windows.

0 Likes

I'm getting close to solving the issue now. I realize the voltage spikes only moving the mouse. If I let my mouse rest it drops to normal levels. I've already unistalled Corsair's ICUE so it's not the issue. I'm looking at other drivers now to see if I can figure out what's causing it.

0 Likes

Through testing I was able to narrow down the problem.

It's ICUE keeping the processor from sleeping properly. The constant polling of devices is causing the voltage to ramp up as the CPU thinks it's under constant load. Also my Corsair m65 rbg pro isn't allowing setting of the poll rate. 1000mhz is unnecessary and ramping up the processor on the slightest movement.

Thanks for all the advice and help everyone. 

0 Likes

I have opened a similar topic about 3700x boosting when moving the mouse and the only solution so far was to set Processor max state to 99%.

See the link

https://community.amd.com/t5/processors/3700x-boosts-when-moving-mouse-on-desktop/m-p/428606#M35076

0 Likes