cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Processors

rpetruzz
Journeyman III

Ryzen 9 3950X Uneven temps in cores

I'm not sure if this is normal or aberrant.  I just upgraded my CPU from Ryzen 7 3800 to the Ryzen 9 3950X.  I also added a Corsair iCUE H150i Elite CAPELLIX XT AIO 380 cooler.  My motherboard is ASUS AMD AM4 ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX Bios 3604.  Using the iCue software it is showing me that the temperatures on the various cores at idle are in the 98 - 115 F range.  But three of the cores are showing much higher temps at idle.  #7, #10 and #16 are at 150F ish.  

Today I pulled the pump off the cpu wiped the cooler and cpu and reapplied paste.  After positioning the cooler I checked it and the paste was distributed evenly across the cpu.  Temps returned to the ranges I described above.

Do I need to be concerned?

rpetruzz_0-1691535844206.png

Bob

0 Likes
1 Solution
rpetruzz
Journeyman III

Well DUH!!!!!!!!!!  I do use HWMonitor even before I loaded the iCue software.  The simple truth is I misunderstood the iCue software presentation.  It turns out that the temps I was concerned with weren't core temps at all.  Rather they are motherboard temps.  I was laying in bed thinking about all of this when the "light bulb" went off....... I realized then that I was all wrong about what I was seeing.. 

Here is the HWMonitor output.  My # 7 equated to AUXTIN0, #10 to AUXTIN3 and #16 to TMPIN4

So I'm a bit embarrassed here..

HWMonitor.png

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
BigTacious
Adept III

So I'm guessing temps #3 thru 19 are your core temps, and so those look like they're ranging from 30 to 65c. 65c is on the higher side at idle, but i'm wondering what the frequencies are for those to see if they're boosting since the other cores are very cool. What do they get up to under single core workloads? multi? 

I'm guessing you don't know but please provide temps in celcius in posts, it's what everyone uses and also easier to get an idea of how your temps are, since 95 is closely comparable to 100 as a number. Also I'd recommend HWiNFO64 from CPUID for monitoring most anything. It also shows you frequencies, voltages, fan speeds and info on related to other devices. Also reports Max values so you can check in on how high they get after running a heavy single or multicore heavy workload. When looking at temps it's always worth it to compare to the frequencies, voltages and utilization.

5900X | Sapphire Nitro 7900XTX | 64gb RAM 3600mhz CL16 | x570 TUF WiFi
0 Likes
rpetruzz
Journeyman III

Well DUH!!!!!!!!!!  I do use HWMonitor even before I loaded the iCue software.  The simple truth is I misunderstood the iCue software presentation.  It turns out that the temps I was concerned with weren't core temps at all.  Rather they are motherboard temps.  I was laying in bed thinking about all of this when the "light bulb" went off....... I realized then that I was all wrong about what I was seeing.. 

Here is the HWMonitor output.  My # 7 equated to AUXTIN0, #10 to AUXTIN3 and #16 to TMPIN4

So I'm a bit embarrassed here..

HWMonitor.png

0 Likes

zhollingshad_0-1691586142645.png

I am getting some super high temperatures myself. When I am overclocking sometimes I reach 97C. I don't know much about CPU temps but I felt that was a bit hot for prolonged use. After searching the internet for recommended temps I came across a site that said the max temp is 105 for this processor. 

0 Likes