cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Processors

Eris6
Journeyman III

Ryzen 7 5800x keeps overheating

Hello hello. Over a year ago I believe in October 7th with the help of a local pc shop I built a pc with a ryzen 7 5800x with a cougar aqua 360 as it's cooler. The pc worked flawlessly up until about 2 or 3 months ago when it began to start overheating. I've seen my pc boot up and immediately shoot up to 79°C according to armory crates temperatures. And most of the time under a minuscule amount of load such as discord and my browser open with a single youtube tab with a 144p music video it would shoot up to 115°C and shut my pc down. I've cleaned my pc, specifically the radiator of my cooler and even had the thermal paste changed on 2 ocassions. This has been driving me insane and I would really appreciate some help

I undervolted the cpu at some point which did give me a bit more time before it just shut down again but it still overheats just the same

If it matters I have 64 gigs of memory from 4 ballistix 16gb ram sticks 

And an RTX3060Ti

0 Likes
3 Replies
johnnyenglish
Big Boss

For what you describe, looks like the AIO failed. 

If you have control of it with software, turn the fans down and put the pump speed to maximum. Listen closely if you can hear the whirring sound of the pump. If you do not, then it may have failed.

Check the if the pump header is well connected and the radiator fans too.

Good luck 

The Englishman
ThreeDee
Paragon

I ran a Cougar AIO a while back .. I don't remember the exact model but I wasn't very impressed with it.

Not a big fan of ASUS's software either (Armory Crate)

Get a good air cooler like the Deepcool AK620 .. rivals Noctua's NH-D15

IF you decide to get a new AIO, be sure to have adequate airflow throughout your case .. you have to keep your VRM's and RAM cool too

ThreeDee PC specs
stereo55
Adept II

My suggestion , AlphaCool (all copper unit , replaceable pump , room to grow/expand) . https://www.amazon.com/Alphacool-Eisbaer-Aurora-Cooler-Digital/dp/B084TP36T8?ref_=ast_sto_dp

Been using one for about 5+ yrs on differant rigs , but does nicely on my 5900x (OC'd) and does it well in hot Calif weather . Right now I have 2 rad's conneted to it , the 360 that came with it , used on top of caseand Iam also using a smaller 240 rad in front .

To note:  Iam replacing the orginal 360mm that came with the system and its being replaced by a AlphaCool 360/60mm/UT60 . ~ Iam doing this not for any bad temps on the current setup , I just want more water flowing in the system , but the added cooling from the larger rad wont hurt either .

0 Likes