Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Processors

heracless123
Journeyman III

New CPU for my PC

Hello AMD Community,

At the moment i want to upgrade my computer with a new CPU.

I use it for gaming. My set how it looks like at the moment:

I have Window 8.1.

Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3

CPU: AMD FX(tm)-4300 Quad-Core Processor

GPU: AMD Radeon R9 200 Series

I have 16 GB RAM.

I build this set a time ago, but im not that good at building a pc.

I found out what is compatible with my Mainboard:

GA-78LMT-USB3 (rev. 4.1) | Mainboards - GIGABYTE Germany 

I want to spent max. 200 €.

I looked around and found this: AMD FX-8350 and AMD FX-8370.

Is this good for my setup or do you have a better idea for my CPU.

Thanks in advance for your help.

0 Likes
9 Replies

As far as extending the life of your PC then that's the best option, as upgrading to a modern system much more suited for gaming means replacing the motherboard, CPU, RAM, and OS.

0 Likes

If you can't afford to upgrade to an Ryzen computer setup than I would go for the FX 8350. I have been using the FX 8350 with a high end GPU card and I am able to play all modern games without any problems. I would recommend to purchase a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO to keep your TDP 125 watt CPU nice and cool under heavy loads. In case you just purchase the CPU without a CPU Cooler.

The FX 8370 is a tad faster than the FX 8350 but costs more.

Here is an example at Amazon.com FX 8370 with a Wraith CPU Cooler:

At Amazon a FX 8350 with a Wraith CPU Cooler:

0 Likes

Far cheaper on Newegg

0 Likes

Actually I did look at Newegg and saw that. But it doesn't include a CPU Cooler. It is more expensive when the Wraith Cooler is included but at least you get a compatible CPU Cooler that is under AMD Warranty for both.

At Newegg, the FX 8350 with Wraith cost $140.00. But if he buys just the CPU at $60.00 and purchases the CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO for $30.00 it will come out much cheaper with probably a better CPU Cooler than the Wraith at a total of $90.00.

The OP has a budget of 200 Euros which comes out, at the latest Exchange rate of .88245 per Euro = $176.49.

0 Likes

Um, what? All FX-8350s ship with a HSF, the only AMD processors which don't are the FX-9000 series (non CLC editions) and the Ryzen 1800X. It's not the Wraith cooler, but it's the same 4 heatpipe cooler they used with their 125w processors dating back to the first Athlon 64 dual cores.

Thanks for the info. You are correct.

Should have check the Specs before posting

I am surprised that AMD can sell 125 watt Processor with a strong enough HSF for $60.00 even if it isn't a Wraith CPU Cooler.

0 Likes
heracless123
Journeyman III

Thanks you for your help, I bought an artic freezer 13 when I bought my old cpu. Would it be enough or should I bought the FX-8350 with cooler? 

0 Likes

According to the manufacturer the Arctic Freezer 13 specs is good for CPUs up to TDP 140 Watts. The FX 8350 has a TDP of 125 watts. So it should be sufficient. The Processor ($60.00) come with a Non-Wraith AMD CPU Cooler which you can keep as a backup for the future: Freezer 13 | Quiet CPU Cooler for AMD / Intel CPU | ARCTIC 

I suggest your box as is now is adequate. If you want to modernize start with a motherboard you like then look at a suitable CPU for your needs. The RAM should be selected based on the CPU capability.

0 Likes