cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Processors

azandra33
Adept I

My system detects Ryzen 5 4600G shipped with Vega 6 iGPU

Just assembled a budget PC using Ryzen 5 4600G. My system detects Radeon RX Vega 6 as its iGPU.
I have little knowledge on hardware, but isn't it supposed to have Vega 7? I've been looking at everything on the box and instruction paper. it seems normal. Though there's no GPU description listed clearly, just "with Radeon(TM) Graphics", the same as the official 4600G page from the AMD website. However, every article on the internet said that 4600G is shipped with Vega 7. Youtube review/testing videos featuring 4600G also stated Vega 7. Mine, however, Vega 6. Is this the consequence of having a vague GPU description? Or is it abnormal that I should ask the shop for replacement?

I also thought this was probably just a naming bug, but from gaming experience, it feels significantly slower than my Ryzen 5 5600G like they don't share the same iGPU. It got below half of 5600G's FPS when playing Monster Hunter World with the same rig, even in lower settings.

image1.png

1 Solution
SerchTech
Adept II

Hi azandra33

First of all, I have never been a user/owner of Ryzen APUs as 4600G and never installed/tested EndeavourOS either, currently on Fedora40 and Windows11 with Threadripper 2950X/X399.

If you have tried different distros with the same result about Vega 6 and EndeavourOS being based rolling release, it is possible that AMD DRM does not correctly report the specifications of your 4600G iGPU.

Everything I have read in your OP is good advice, for my part I would create a bug report so that AMD GPU Professionals on Linux could confirm or correct this error

AMD-DRM.png

It will be a pleasure to read about your discoveries and good luck, you're welcome

View solution in original post

9 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

azandra33, I think you need to talk to AMD here. Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

You are running a Linux OS and that Linux app seems to be mislabeling your Desktop for a Laptop Mobile processor thus showing a Vega 6 instead of a Vega 7.

From what I can tell Vega 6 IGPUs are part of the Laptop 4000 series mobile Processors but the 4600G has a Vega 7 IGPU and is a Desktop processor.

TechPowerUp Specs shows the 4600G as having a Vega 7 IGPU.

Unfortunately both GPU-Z nor Ryzen Master runs in Linux OS. So you need to find another comparable app to verify that it has a Vega 7 and your processor is recognized as a Desktop processor and not a Mobile Processor.

NOTE: Not sure if you can run Command Prompt or something similar in Linux OS. You can google the Command line to verify your Processor's IGPU or google the Linux command line to verify your processor. 

Personally I believe it is a Linux OS issue not correctly identifying your processor.

Hi elstaci. I also checked the other Linux distributions that I have, they all detects Vega 6. I don't have Windows, but I'll try getting it to verify if there is inconsistency. Also thanks for confirming that this CPU shouldn't come with Vega 6.

The command prompt to check the Processor's iGPU (along with other PCI buses) is the one that I ran at the bottom (lspci). That one uses extra arguments to cut other unnecessary informations (e.g. storage, memory, USB), leaving the VGA section only. There is also lshw, but the output information is the same, just different layout.

The best way to verify if you have an actual Ryzen 4600G with Vega 7 is open a AMD SUPPORT TICKET and upload a close photo of the data imprinted on top of the processor. It should include the Model and Serial Numbers. 

If you purchased that processor from a Retailer in a Official AMD Retail Box then the box should have both the Serial Number and Model Number on it. It should be the same data on the processor.

As @FunkZ mentioned if it is a used processor it is possible you were sold a fake processor.  A Laptop processor wouldn't be compatible with a Desktop Motherboard. Different CPU Socket.

Here is AMD SUPPORT link: https://www.amd.com/en/forms/contact-us/support.html

NOTE: If GPU-Z runs in Linux OS use that to verify your processor.

Hello again. GPU-Z runs on Linux through virtualization, so the output might not be accurate.
I've installed Windows along with AMD drivers and checked the details there. GPU-Z labels the GPU as "AMD Radeon(TM) Graphics" while hwinfo labels it as "Amd Radeon Vega" without number. But it states 1900 Mhz frequency, which aligns with the Techpowerup's notes on Ryzen 5 4600G Vega 7 graphics page. So it was probably a mislabel on my end. I am at least relieved that it's not a hardware fault.

I will proceed to move this issue to the AMD DRM repository on GitLab, as SerchTech suggested. Anyway, many thanks for your kind advices!

ss-gpuz-and-cpuz.png

FunkZ
Grandmaster

Where did you purchase the processor from? There are many scams of processors being sold under false pretenses and even some with fake printing on top of the IHS.

It may be something as simple as @elstaci states that the Linux OS is not detecting the GPU correctly. However your statement that performance is not on par raises concern.

There are apps like GPU-Z that are capable of showing more detail about the IGP and running some graphics benchmarks and comparing scores to similar processors should provide additional confirmation.

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
Ryzen R7 5700G | B550 Gaming X | 2x8GB G.Skill 4000 | Radeon Vega 8 IGP
Ryzen R5 5600 | B550 Gaming Edge | 4x8GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 6800XT

I bought it at a local computer shop, one of the trusted store in my city. The processor came with 3 years warranty replacement.

I also tried switching other distributions to check the GPU. The output are either "Vega 6" or a more generalistic "AMD/ATI Renoir rev c9". I Think the later just don't have a proper access to read the hardware. But I will try to get Windows to see any differences. Thanks for your response!

SerchTech
Adept II

Hi azandra33

First of all, I have never been a user/owner of Ryzen APUs as 4600G and never installed/tested EndeavourOS either, currently on Fedora40 and Windows11 with Threadripper 2950X/X399.

If you have tried different distros with the same result about Vega 6 and EndeavourOS being based rolling release, it is possible that AMD DRM does not correctly report the specifications of your 4600G iGPU.

Everything I have read in your OP is good advice, for my part I would create a bug report so that AMD GPU Professionals on Linux could confirm or correct this error

AMD-DRM.png

It will be a pleasure to read about your discoveries and good luck, you're welcome

Hi SerchTech

It is true that some distros I've tried gave the same result, while others just don't label the GPU model specifically (just Radeon Graphics). I managed to get Windows, install the drivers, and run some hardware detection tools. The results were the same as the later Linux distributions (Radeon Graphics). But it detects 1900 Mhz frequency which Vega 7 has. So you're probably right. I will try creating a bug report on the repository. Thanks for the suggestion!