Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Processors

fodz
Journeyman III

My 7700x changes from 5200 to 3000 ish every 5 seconds

Hello folks,

I bought a Ryzen 7700x back in April in a prebuilt machine, I just started monitoring via CPU-Z and noticed its dropped from about 5200 to 3400 ish every 5 seconds or so. Any ideas why this might be? I dont have much running (discord/googlechome etc) but nothing crazy. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

fodz_1-1696306295998.png

fodz_0-1696306282960.png

1 Reply
DipakJ27
Adept III

It is normal for CPU frequency to fluctuate depending on the workload. However, if you are seeing your CPU frequency dropping from 5200 MHz to 3000 MHz every 5 seconds, this may be a cause for concern.

There are a few possible reasons why this might be happening:

1. Some motherboards have a power saving mode that will automatically reduce the CPU frequency when the system is idle.
  2. This can help to save power, but it can also cause the CPU frequency to fluctuate noticeably.
  3. If your CPU is overheating, it may reduce its frequency in order to prevent damage.
  4. This is especially common if you are overclocking your CPU.
  5. If your CPU or motherboard is faulty, it could be causing the CPU frequency to fluctuate.

To troubleshoot the issue, you can try the following:

1. Disable power saving mode in your BIOS.
  2. Check your CPU temperature and make sure it is not overheating.
  3. Update your BIOS and chipset drivers.
  4. Run a stress test to see if your CPU can maintain its frequency under load.
  5. If you are still having problems, you may need to contact your motherboard manufacturer or AMD support for further assistance.

Here are some additional tips that may help to reduce CPU frequency fluctuations:

• Close any unnecessary programs that are running in the background.
  • Make sure that your system is properly ventilated.
  • Avoid overclocking your CPU.
  • Update your operating system and drivers regularly.

I hope this helps!

Dipakjadhav
0 Likes