cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Processors

sahil4814
Journeyman III

Installing Parrot/Kali virtual machines on Ryzen processor (with Windows as my main OS)

Hi All, I need to buy a laptop for creating a virtual machine and having Kali and/or Parrot OS on VM. My main OS will be Windows. This is for pentesting. So, are we good with buying a laptop with Ryzen processors rather Intel. I have read on lot of forums (related to kali, linux etc.) that Ryzen processors are not good for running Linux systems like Ubuntu, Debian(Kali, Parrot) etc. both as main OS and under virtual machines. People facing different kind of issues from navigating, black screen, sound etc. Please suggest me, if it will be good to buy a Ryzen and install Kali/Parrot VMs and not having any issue. I will be buying Ryzen 4000 series.

0 Likes
1 Reply
ash7
Journeyman III

Did you ever get Parrot/Kali installed in a VM on Ryzen host?

I have Ryzen 5950X with W6800 Pro Graphics and cannot get either the Parrot or Kali ISOs to boot.

I see two issues:

1. I have dual display (4k and 1080p), when hyper v window is opened on 4k, when ISOs boot to start I see flash of splash image then VM goes dark (problem). Workaround: I if drag VM window to 1080p, VM/ISO (i.e., Kali/Parrot early boot menu) remains visible (good).
  2. After applying the above workaround, I choose default option to setup, things seem to move forward until cursor goes to upper/left and blinks "forever"... hangs w/blinking cursor.

So I'm curious if you ever found a workaround for issues you saw.

0 Likes