Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Processors

matamd
Journeyman III

Did i damage my CPU or motherboard ?

Hello

I have a Asus Tuf B550M motherboard, a Ryzen 7 5700X and an XPG Pylon 650w PSU.

I have installed a new cpu fan as well as some case fans.

I´ve tried to set the max frequency ( 4,6ghz) in ryzen master to test some temps 

However , when i tried to do it , it asked me to also change the voltage (to 1,55v , maxvoltage) and when i did it my , cpu temperature was like 100 degrees in 5 seconds and the pc shut off

I´m wondering if this could cause any damage? i turned on the pc after just fine but i´m kinda worried

Thanks

0 Likes
6 Replies
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

I have a 5700X and if you leave Ryzen Master on default, and do not modify anything, you should see on boot most cores are hitting 4.6 to 4.65ghz.

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
0 Likes

i don´t plan on overclocking again but do you think this could have damaged the cpu? Thanks

0 Likes
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

I couldn't say. I know these chips can hit 1.4v on the vcore but most insist it never should exceed 1.3v under load. The only real way would be to hit it with a benchmark like Cinebench and run a stress test or something like that. 

Why were you changing the max frequency?

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
0 Likes

it was really my mistake

Do you think aida can diagnose if there are any issues?

0 Likes
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

Aida possibly could. I personally have never use Aida.

0 Likes
johnnyenglish
Big Boss

Oh man,1,55v that's a tad too much for a daily drive.

The CPU turned off to avoid damage, so it should be OK and at the very maximum you may have induced a tiny little bit of silicon wear, not too much to worry about. Under normal conditions they can go up to 1.48v during boosting.

If its running ok, I would start using the undervolt option.

The Englishman
0 Likes