cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Processors

zinger19
Adept I

Chinese Laptop with a Fake Ryzen 7 3700u

So I bought this laptop from Amazon. I mean I expected that there was a possibility that there was something fishy with it to begin with. It's not a terrible laptop, but it doesn't have the CPU it's claiming to be. First of all, it claims to have a Ryzen 7 3700u.  Now correct me if I'm wrong, but I am under the impression that the Ryzen 7 3700u has 4 cores @2.3ghz and a Vega 10 APU.  This one claims to have a Ryzen 7 3700u, but it's a dual-core @ 2.6ghz with a Vega 3, which is more on par with a Ryzen 3 3200u. Everything from Windows to BIOS shows that it's a Ryzen 7 3700u. How in the world did they pull this one off? It's there any way to tell what the real CPU is without tearing it apart?

0 Likes
12 Replies

See what  freeware CPU-Z shows?

Also run GPU-Z to see what it says about your Integrated Graphics.

Please post an image of both if possible. Click on the "Camera" icon to upload the image to your reply.

Possibly some laptop makers might disable some CPU cores to make it run cooler but they can't change the Integrated Graphics on a APU.

Really the only and best way in my opinion is to open the laptop and visually check the AMD APU Processor and see what is printed on it.

NOTE: I also would call Amazon Customer Service and let them know to see what they say. Maybe Amazon Security will check out the Vendor of the laptop.

Did you purchase the laptop from Amazon Market Place by any chance?

0 Likes

cpu.jpggpu.gif

Both say what everything else says.

0 Likes
zinger19
Adept I

Yes I did purchase it from Amazon. I am going to end up opening it up. I was just curious if there were any other ways to verify. I mean I should of know with a laptop called Ecohero. lol

0 Likes

If you open it up than you will probably void any laptop warranty on it.

I would suggest you contact first Amazon Customer Service via chat or phone. Tell them that in GPU-Z it is stating that it has a Vega 3 Integrated Graphics which isn't the IGPU of the Ryzen 3700U which uses a Vega 10.

GPU-Z is showing Vega 3 and not Vega 10.

Here is TechPowerUp specs on the Vega 10: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/amd-vega-10.g800

It doesn't match up with GPU-Z data which is showing a Vega 3 data.

0 Likes

I just saw the Amazon website for your EchoHero laptop: https://www.amazon.com/ECOHERO-1920x1080-Computers-Ethernet-Keyboard/dp/B0BFFW2RH8?th=1

It mentions it uses a "CUSTOM EDITION" 3700U which explains the differences:

[AMD Ryzen 7 3700U Custom Edition] Using AMD Ryzen 7 3700U processor, multi-tasking runs smoothly, no lag, more powerful than Core processor, making design creation smoother.

So what it is meant by "Custom Edition" could be anything. But even if it is a custom edition that would not include changing the IGPU from Vega 10 to Vega 3.

The only thing I can think of is that Amazon has a misprint concerning the APU processor in your laptop.

I bet it is a new Chinese Laptop model. I couldn't find Echohero manufacturer's website.

0 Likes

Yeah, that's the one. I mean it's by no means an expensive laptop or anything that  I should be upset about because I knew something had to be fishy with it. I'm willing to bet that it's actually a Ryzen 3200u signed as a 3700u and using the word Custom Edition releases them from any assumptions of what the actual processor specs should be. Even if their clock speed on the site was wrong. I mean I highly doubt AMD would remove 2 cores, downgrade the igpu and call it the same processor. It's not a bad laptop it's just not what I was expecting performance wise.

True but a 3700U APU is much more powerful, both in specs and IGPU, and more expensive than a 3200U APU processor.

So you paid for a 3200U Laptop at most likely at a 3700U laptop price.

0 Likes

Yeah, this is also true. I'll just talk to amazon and see what they have to say. I mean they probably won't do anything but at least they will be aware of what they are selling

If you purchased it from amazon you should be able to return it free of charge

0 Likes
Sergyg
Journeyman III

this is laptop:

see shootsPXL_20230713_223612686.NIGHT.jpgPXL_20230714_130004608.NIGHT.jpg16893405791373586236362658733271.jpg

0 Likes
Sergyg
Journeyman III

interesting result in Direct2D : filtering rastering imagePXL_20230714_130053047.NIGHT.jpg

0 Likes
Topaz24
Journeyman III

I also have an Echohero purchased at Amazon. The seller is listed as Echohero store shipped by Amazon. This is what the specs for the one I bought are supposed to be:

• ECOHERO Laptop Computers, AMD Ryzen 7 3700U, 8GB DDR4/256GB NVMe SSD, 15.6" 1920x1080 FHD IPS Display, Windows 11 laptops Computers, Ethernet Port, Backlit Keyboard, Support Type-C PD 3.0 Charging. 

Truthfully I had no idea what you checked it against or where I should check it. I would love to know what you find out. Not that there's anything I would be able to do considering my return period is way over. Although I would like to know what you find out and what you do, if you don't mind sharing that information. Good luck with your investigation.

0 Likes