cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Processors

Jehoshua
Journeyman III

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X: Where are the real full specs? (ECC Support??)

Hello

Does AMD Ryzen 9 5900X support ECC?

I'm very sorry to ask this question because it gets obvious that the 'AMD full Specs Data sheet' is a shame:
https://www.amd.com/en/product/10461

It does not list all CPU feature properties, e.g. ECC Support is missing. 

We are considering switching to AMD CPUs and were hoping that professional AMD staff would maintain e.g. datasheet content, but it makes the impression that, like the "AMD support", the community must do it, so in fact private people in their spare time

Thanks a lot, kind regards,
Thomas

0 Likes
2 Replies
EFermi
Miniboss

ECC support for consumer-grade (non-Threadripper) Ryzen CPUs is present, but it is not an officially promoted obligatory feature. It means that even though processors themselves have non-buffered ECC support, it is up to the motherboard/BIOS whether that function will be available, and there might still be compatibility issues. Look at this as how you would at an overclocking: you might get the result you want most of the time, but nobody guarantees anything. I know for a fact that (unless some motherboard vendors went above and beyond for no apparent reason) buffered ECC is NOT supported

As for the unbuffered ECC modules, I'd say as long as you find information on it for your specific motherboard (it may not always be disclosed by manufacturer), you have about 90% chance of it to fit perfectly and require no more than switching ECC on in the BIOS settings. There is, of course, still a small chance of issues arising, since once again, it is not a required feature for consumer CPUs. 

0 Likes

At WikiChip processor website it does indicate that it support ECC MEMORY: https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/amd/ryzen_9/5900x

Screenshot 2022-05-03 084106.png

As mention previously you must look at your motherboard's QVL List for RAM MEMORY for your processor to see which RAM part number support ECC.

0 Likes