Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Processors

GL1TCH3D
Journeyman III

AMD 7950x Problem : Eco mode issues

Hi everybody,

I ran into a few problems this week with my computer and I'm wondering if they're CPU related, and if so, what the solutions would be.

Specs:

AMD 7950x

Dell RTX 4080

Asus X670E-Pro Prime Mobo (Bios 1654 - most up to date)

Corsair DDR5 Ram 2x32gb (6400 cl32 M-die)

2x2TB NVMe + 1TB 2.5" SSD + 20TB 3.5" HDD

windows 10 Enterprise 22H2

I have various USB devices connected (mic interface, 2x headphone amps, and other standard things).

Problem:

This week I enabled eco mode on the 7950x using Ryzen master and put the computer to sleep a little while after. Upon trying to wake, I just black screened. Restarting the PC, same thing. No bios splash screen or anything. I had to power cycle + clear cmos, and then I was able to get in bios and boot ijnto windows with default settings. I re-applied the RAM settings and ensured the eco mode on the cpu was off. No issues on that front since. I haven't tried eco mode since.

All GPU / CPU settings are default. Ram passes y-cruncher and have had no crashes with these settings since I built the PC and finished the slight tuning in Jan.

Does eco-mode impact ram stability? I was told it doesn't.

0 Likes
1 Solution
johnnyenglish
Big Boss

As far as I know, it does not. 

Running ECO Mode and EXPO and never had a single crash with 6000 CL34, I can go CL32 but not stress tested it yet. (My kit is originally CL36 so I'm pushing it).

However 6400 with 64gb sure sounds very good and above what people are able to achieve in average.

Is the RAM on QVL? Did you enabled MCR setting in BIOS? What is your SoC voltage?

I would try to apply the ECO mode at BIOS level instead of Ryzen Master.

Do you really need to use ECO Mode? I'm constrained by the cooler as I have a 240 radiator, so I have to use ECO plus lots of other tweaking to pump performance back up.

Good luck 

The Englishman

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
johnnyenglish
Big Boss

As far as I know, it does not. 

Running ECO Mode and EXPO and never had a single crash with 6000 CL34, I can go CL32 but not stress tested it yet. (My kit is originally CL36 so I'm pushing it).

However 6400 with 64gb sure sounds very good and above what people are able to achieve in average.

Is the RAM on QVL? Did you enabled MCR setting in BIOS? What is your SoC voltage?

I would try to apply the ECO mode at BIOS level instead of Ryzen Master.

Do you really need to use ECO Mode? I'm constrained by the cooler as I have a 240 radiator, so I have to use ECO plus lots of other tweaking to pump performance back up.

Good luck 

The Englishman
0 Likes

Didn't mean to accept solution... site just loaded slowly and ended up double clicking the reply button.

Doesn't seem my specific ram kit is listed. I can't imagine it would pose problems given the other QVLs listed with higher expo timings and another kit that's virtually identical in speed and timings, both from corsair using Hynix dies and the same capacity and speed.

Running Corsair 2x32GB Hynix M Die dual rank tuned.

The thing is I wanted to just toggle eco mode when not gaming / doing other stuff that requires processing. It's not a big deal to me otherwise. I have some lighter programs that for whatever reason are pushing a bit more than necessary at times and I don't need the performance there.

Have not enabled MCR, unless the new bios enabled it by default. Again, the only crash I've experienced here is specifically with this after turning on Eco mode in Ryzen master. If I have to reboot and go to bios for eco mode it's not worth it to me and I'll leave it on stock as I have been doing. Just something feels off is all and wondering if I should be seeking RMA.

0 Likes

hmm

0 Likes