Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Processors

tamak
Adept I

5900x boost over spec why ?

hello all , this might be a repititive question so forgive me

i would like to know why my 5900x boost to 4.95 in default settings when spec shows a boost clock of only 4.8 ? what bios settings might be connected to this behaviour ? something tells me that bios is responsible but i could be wrong . 

my system details are x570 aorus ultra+5900x+noctua nh d15+3080 eagle (usage is only gaming)

0 Likes
4 Replies
Matt_AMD
Community Manager

Think of the boost frequency as more of the minimum frequency the processor can achieve. There are times where the processor may be able to boost slightly higher than the rated boost frequency, think of this as a little free extra performance.

If you'd like to learn more about precision boost 2, have a look at this kb. https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/cpu-pb2

thank you for replying . is it possible by theory to completelly disable pbo2 and get only the spec max listed boost which is 4.8 ?

or are those terms(base clock : 3.7 and max boost clock : up to 4.8) in the spec completelly irrelevant ?

0 Likes
Matt_AMD
Community Manager

It's possible to disable the boost via the BIOS, but then the processor will operate up to the base clock only.
The spec is not irrelevant, it's just the frequency that the processor should hit.
The CPU is very clever and will determine what frequency it needs to run at, so please do not worry and enjoy your CPU.

you're the best thanks for all the information