cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Graphics

sebakke
Adept I

Workaround for lack of DX9 support in recent Radeon cards - Use a Virtual Machine!

Most of the games I have are from recent history.  However, I have one game RealFlight 9.5 which is an RC flight simulator.  It's based on the DX9.0c API.   With any cards starting with the 5000 series, it starts to load and then will hang.  Reportedly, there was a driver version about a year ago which worked with 5600/5700 generation cards.  However, I have a 6900XT and don't plan on installing an old driver just to make this thing work.

The solution is to install this in a virtual machine.  I installed VMWare which is free for non-commercial use.  You'll need to enable VMs in your BIOS, but then after that go ahead and install any version of Windows with DX9 support.  In my case, I used Windows 8 since I had a disk sitting around. (but I'm pretty sure that Win10 would be fine or even XP)   I installed RealFlight after this and everything worked fine with max detail, etc.   I expect it will also work for other old DX9 games.

1 Reply

You can also use DXVK as well.

0 Likes