cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Graphics

andrewburke
Journeyman III

Window position changes after monitor awakes from power saving - 7900 XTX

I recently upgraded 570x to 7900 XTX (today).
I use quad screens as a part of my workflow.

I take meetings, and when I get off a call from a meeting, and wake my screen (not sleep, just monitors in power saving), my windows are on different screens.
I use unity, and so layout is vital.
I get that I could install a third party program that could resolve this... however, I just spent $1600 on a video card, and I would think that the price paid should be better than an older card, not worse. If it breaks my workflow, I can't keep it. And I really want to.

Here is a video outlining what is happening:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRh9G6mdQ8s

If I change back to the old card, this issue goes away. If I switch back to the 7900 XTX the issue is here to stay.

I don't use adrenaline. This may be part of the issue for all I know.
However, adrenaline forces their shortcuts on you, makes changes to things like the tint HUE of the screen (not good for game developers) and it also just installs a whole bunch of extra crap I don't need. A lot of it cant even be overridden.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

0 Likes
2 Replies
Qoojo
Miniboss

The only thing I can think of is that the displays are completely disconnected, and that upon waking, they initialize in a different order causing a different order when enumerating. When you start your laptop, the wait on bios post is probably long enough all windows to be fully connected and ready by the time you hit windows.

- You could try sleeping monitors immediately to start day, then waking them, then see if monitors keep the apps on correct displays as the day progresses.

Just for fun, trying disabling fast boot in bios and fast startup in windows. Probably won't make a difference.

0 Likes

Thanks for you reply.

So my system specs are as follows:
Ryzen 7950x
7900 XTX
1600w psu
4 Screens at 1080p

So no laptop here.
I dont use fast boot.
This happens every time the monitors sleep.
I can set them to sleep 1 min from now and it happens.
I ended up just disabling monitor power saving. Not good for the environment, but what can I do?
Again, the only change was the Gpu.

I am also experiencing completely random freezes. No BSOD, just suddenly nothing works.
I have had this system for near 1 year without any issues. Then with this card, suddenly all bets are off.
Even the event viewer shows nothing happened before the freeze.

The system doesn't even know it froze up.
I know it froze, because I wait two minutes to see if time changes.

This is the error I get before the freezes:
svchost (5784,R,98) SRUJet: An attempt to open the file "C:\Windows\system32\SRU\SRU.chk" for read / write access failed with system error 5 (0x00000005): "Access is denied. ". The open file operation will fail with error -1032 (0xfffffbf8).

0 Likes