cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Graphics

x6205
Adept II

Random reboots after monitor upgrade

I have replaced common office monitor (1080p/60Hz) with a "gaming" monitor DELL S2721DGFA and since then i'm experiencing one nasty issue. My computer sometimes instantly reboots. Like if you would press hard reset on the case. It happened randomly so far in all games since i got it. Sometimes after 15 min or after two hours. And then i can play days without any issues..

-First it was RE Village with driver 21.4.1 and 21.5.1.
-Then it was Doom Eternal on 21.5.1 and 21.5.2
-Third game was Horizon Zero Dawn and it happened first time after 15 hours of gameplay, then after several days and cca 70 hours almost at the end of the game it happened 4 times in one day
-Currently i am playing Warhammer 40K Inquisitor Martyr and it happened again. I'm cca 10 hours in-game.

Is this a feature of the FreeSync Premium Pro specification? I'm running my monitor on 120Hz and btw. i have noticed at 60Hz big power draw around 30 watts. With custom refresh rates like 61, 66, 75 or whatever or my current 120Hz is power draw "normal" around 10 watts.

I have no UV/UC at this moment, but i have tried also that on first two games. I'm running clean installation of Windows 10 21H1 with driver 21.5.2. Eventlog is not helpful, stating the obvious that previous system shutdown was unexpected.

Is somebody after switching to freesync "gaming" monitors experiencing similar issues? Do you think it's related to FreeSync?

My global profile in Radeon Software is set to "Standard". I don't use any gaming features like Antilag or Enhanced Sync. Only change is in resolution, from 1080p to 1440p at 60 FPS and FreeSync enabled. My new monitor is connected with original DisplayPort cable.

Warhammer is capped at 60PS with Chill and consumes cca 80-120 watt in game with juction temp around 80c.

Specs of my build from 10/2019:

-CPU: Ryzen R7 3700X with cooler BeQuiet Dark Rock 4. No OC, CPU boosting disabled in BIOS, running at 3.6Ghz.
-MB: ASUS Rog Strix B450-I Gamming with latest BIOS, no special settings.
-RAM: G.Skill 16 GB kit (2x8) DDR4 3600 MHz CL16 Trident RGB Neo for Ryzen 3000.
-Reference card RX 5700 XT from Sapphire in case Meshify C Mini. This card is hot, so i prefer UC/UV, tested with 1850Mhz/980mV takes down cca 10c versus default wattman settings
-SSD: Samusng EVO 970 500 GB
-PSU Seasonic Prime Ultra 650W Titanium (my GPU is not daisy chained. I'm using two cables from PSU manufacturer) - i asume this HQ PSU must handle RX 5700 XT with ease.

0 Likes
1 Solution
x6205
Adept II

EDIT: I maybe have found reason for these random reboots..

Further testing is required, but it looks like after switch from 1080p/60FPS to 1440p/120FPS my memory (or memory controller?) become unstable. There was never any error in Eventlog, but then i have noticed that before hard reboot is my Eventlog always filled with 10-15 warnings about WHEA logger uncorrectable error. Googling a bit with keywords "whea error ryzen 3000" seems to point to unstable memory overclock..

Until now was my memory set-up by D.O.C.P. standard at 3600 Mhz and i asume that now under bigger load (resolution/framerate) it became unstable. Setting frequency down to 3400 Mhz gave me after first boot instant BSOD. Going down to 3200 Mhz seems to be stable so far after 3 days o gaming. No more whea logs.

I'm waiting for next hard reboot to disprove this theory

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
x6205
Adept II

EDIT: I maybe have found reason for these random reboots..

Further testing is required, but it looks like after switch from 1080p/60FPS to 1440p/120FPS my memory (or memory controller?) become unstable. There was never any error in Eventlog, but then i have noticed that before hard reboot is my Eventlog always filled with 10-15 warnings about WHEA logger uncorrectable error. Googling a bit with keywords "whea error ryzen 3000" seems to point to unstable memory overclock..

Until now was my memory set-up by D.O.C.P. standard at 3600 Mhz and i asume that now under bigger load (resolution/framerate) it became unstable. Setting frequency down to 3400 Mhz gave me after first boot instant BSOD. Going down to 3200 Mhz seems to be stable so far after 3 days o gaming. No more whea logs.

I'm waiting for next hard reboot to disprove this theory

0 Likes

One week later, still stable. Closing as fixed.

0 Likes