Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Graphics

Sycro5
Journeyman III

Radeon RX 580 Underperforming a GeForce GTX 670

I have a dilemma...

My MSI AMD Radeon RX 580 4 GB GPU is performing worse than my EVGA GEForce GTX 670 FTW+ 4 GB GPU (specs here).  When I say underperforming, I'm comparing the two cards while playing CSGO and running them through the FPS benchmark map in CSGO (fwiw, I notice the lower performance on the RX 580 in performance just playing the game outside of the benchmark map).

I have run the tests with both cards on two different PCs, with the exact same in-game settings.  On both PCs, the GTX 670 is outperforming the RX 580, and the FPS benchmark numbers for each card between the two PCs are consistent (i.e. - the FPS I'm getting on the RX 580 is the same between PCs and consistently lower than the GTX 670 on the same PCs).  I'm hoping that having tested each card in two different PCs and getting the same results will eliminate any concerns that the issue is unique to the PC, or that something other than the GPU is throttling the FPS.  Also, I have not overclocked or modified any of the GPU settings for either card.

I'm thinking of getting rid of the RX 580, but I'm trying to figure out why the GTX 670 is noticeably better, when on paper, the RX 580 should be eating the GTX 670's lunch.  Can anyone help explain this?  Is it possible the GTX 670 is just tuned by default to run with more performance when the RX 580 has a lot more untapped potential that I need to unleash with some configuration?  Appreciate any insight here.  Thanks.

The two PCs I'm running the tests on are:

1. CyberpowerPC Game Master 2016 (specs)
  2. Lenovo IdeaCentre (specs)
0 Likes
0 Replies