cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Graphics

FlixTau
Journeyman III

Problems with the smoothness (refresh rate) of the monitor.

In general, the following problem. I have a PC on 13700K and RX6800XT. The MSI PRO Z790-P DDR5 WIFI motherboard. After updating AMD drivers from 22.11.2 via the AMD Adrenalin application on version 23+, there are problems with smoothness. I have a Full HD 165hz monitor and my picture is very smooth because the card is powerful and 165 Hz allow you to get a very smooth experience. But after updating the drivers, this very update frequency jumps very strangely.

I'll give you an example. I play Rainbow Six Siege and at the slightest freeze in the game itself, 165 Hz feels like it turns into 60 (i.e. the brakes are felt after 165 Hz). At the same time, everything is fine with FPS monitoring. 165+ FPS. What could be the problem? This is insanely infuriating and I'm still sitting on the driver version 22.11.2 because everything works fine on it.

0 Likes
10 Replies
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

It could very well be that your hardware doesn't play well with the new drivers. Does your display have an OSD that you can toggle to see refresh rates while gaming?

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
0 Likes

My monitor model: AOC 27G2SPU/BK

No, I didn't find a counter. There is an FPS counter, but I do not know if it is needed and whether it works. The monitor itself writes that the line frequency is 183 Hz. And everything. Again, why can my monique not work normally with the new drivers? I repeat that it seems to work smoothly on the same desktop. But with a freeze in the game, lags immediately begin and it seems to become 60 Hz. At the same time, if you collapse and expand the game, then everything is smooth again. Up to the first frieze +-. This is strange. My monitor supports Adaptive Sync and it is enabled in the monitor settings and in the video driver settings.

If anything, my monitor is connected via the display port.

0 Likes
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

I asked if you had an OSD just because I had an Adaptive Sync monitor that would cause performance issues if I had Adaptive Sync turned on as opposed to just having it set to the static refresh rate. The performance issue could be just an issue between the new drivers and the display, or it could be something else entirely. Have you tried playing games without Adaptive Sync on?

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
0 Likes

No. I haven't tried playing with Adaptive Sync disabled. I'll try, because I don't understand the reason.

0 Likes

You were right. By disabling the Adaptive Sync function not even in the monitor setup, but in AMD Adrenalin itself. These brakes disappeared, although for some reason it seemed to me that there were more friezes in the game itself (Rainbow Six Siege). What should I do in this case, why does Adaptive Sync not work with the new drivers? Where to contact to have the drivers fixed, etc.? The monitor is new and I don't want to change it. But I also wish you a smooth game.

0 Likes

So far, I have rolled back the driver to 22.11.2. Because it works fine with Adaptive Sync

0 Likes
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

The problems with adaptive sync really are just beyond my understanding. I just know my super expensive Acer Predator 1080p 240hz display had serious performance issues when I enabled adaptive sync. My very limited understanding of the issue is, there are just so many displays out there in the wild for AMD to optimize for and thousands of possible configurations. It's really the same for hardware configurations. There are too many possible combinations of parts to optimize for every single possible machine. Some fall through the cracks. 

I do also have to say, since I purchased a display that was Fresync Premium, I have not had issues with Freesync on.

I know how unhappy it can make you to have to disable a feature that you paid good money for on a display or PC even that just doesn't function as it should with your setup. It bummed me out.

I'm sorry I don't have a real solution. Maybe someone will chime in and have a better understanding of displays and why it is behaving this way. 

Good luck my friend.

0 Likes

Thanks. Do you know if AMD has any technical support where you can contact with this problem?

0 Likes
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

There is a contact us button on the bottom of the customer support page that allows you to email them.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact

0 Likes

Thanks. I wrote to them. Let's see what they say.

0 Likes