cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Graphics

jocan
Adept II

Observation HD 4670 vs HD 5450 on Windows 10/11

I understand that both are ancient and no longer supported but older 4670 works perfectly with both Windows 10 and 11 while 5450 can't show more then 1920x1440 on Windows 10 and only shows 640x480 on Windows 11. Is it really expected?

Monitor is dual DVI 2560x1440. Linux no problems with both boards.

0 Likes
7 Replies

There are no Windows 10/11 AMD drivers for the HD 4000 series GPU cards.

Screenshot 2024-09-22 192518.png

You will need to let Windows Update install the best compatible AMD Driver for those cards.

Here is the last AMD Driver for the HD 5450 GPU card for Windows 10: https://www.amd.com/en/support/downloads/drivers.html/graphics/radeon-hd/mobility-radeon-hd-5000-ser...

0 Likes

I've read above site before posting and tried latest HD 5450 driver from above location already. Same result. HD 4670 works fine with Windows supplied drivers but HD 5450 does not work with any. I don't need  fast graphics, just plain office work with minimum power consumption, thus looking for older boards with no auxiliary power requirements.

First you don't have both the HD 4670 and 5450 in the same PC correct? 

They are both on separate PCs?

If both are in the same PC that is your problem. You will need a driver that is compatilbe with both HDs in the same PC.

If different PCs then please upload an image of GPU-Z after installing the AMD Driver to see if it was installed correctly with all proper APIs enabled for your HD 5450.

At the bottom of GPU-Z there are several APIs that needs to be check marked for a AMD GPU Card depending on the AMD Driver that is installed.

Plus GPU-Z will give you all the data on your GPU card including Make & Model.

What exactly are the error messages your are getting if any with the HD 5450?

Also check Windows Device Manager under "Display" to see if there are any errors showing or in general in Device Manager.

0 Likes

Dear @elstaci 

The tests are done on the same Lenovo 920t workstation, one board at the time. I even did a fresh Windows 10 install from Microsoft image on a clean disk with 5450 - does not work.

What is GPU-Z ?

Another observation: when 4670 is installed and working fine Windows 10 update insists on downloading AMD 5450 driver, despite device manager clearly says 4600 series, and thus breaking the functionality. Fortunately I discovered Revert Driver option which permanently disabled this "update".

GPU-Z is a useful small free program that gives you all the data concerning your GPU card or IGPU.  ( Works only in Windows OS).

It also shows which APIs are enabled by AMD or Nvidia Graphic drivers.

GPU-Z download: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

GPU-Z should show if the AMD driver is installed correctly and all the appropriate APIs are enabled.

Best way to check your HD 5450 is by installing in a different PC and see if the same thing occurs. If it does would indicate a defective GPU card.

By the way,

When the HD 5450 is installed and the AMD driver is also installed what does:

Windows Device Manager show? Any errors?  is the HD 5450 enabled in "Display" Category?

What does GPU-Z show?

Also when you remove the current AMD driver you should use DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) to remove any traces of the driver so it won't interfere with a different AMD driver being installed. 

DDU Download: Wagnardsoft DDU Download 

NOTE: Without any AMD driver installed how does the HD 5450 behave while using Windows Native Microsoft Basic Display Adapter driver?

0 Likes

Haven't had a chance to install GPU-Z yet but Windows update keeps insisting on HD 5450 driver again.