cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Graphics

Arigo26
Adept I

GPU fan full speed bursts while PC is idle

Hello, first I want to mention I've asked this on Reddit before, and even though no one was able to come with a solution, I got dozen of comments saying they experience the very same problem so it probably not unique to myself.

I have a AMD Radeon RX570 GPU and AMD Ryzen 5 2600 CPU, Running Windows 10 and I encounter this weird annoying problem I'd like to figure out.

My monitor turns off after a couple of minutes of the PC being idle, (power save)

After the monitor is turned off, GPU fans will occasionally and randomly have a burst of 3 to 20 seconds, spinning at full speed thus making very loud noise, and then suddenly back to normal.

This happens only while the monitor is on sleep mode, and can happen every couple dozen of seconds or minutes in that time frame.

I made sure nothing runs in the background so I have no reason to believe the GPU actually heats up and needs the fans spinning at that high of a speed, not to mention my fan speed is set to gradually increase with the temperature and not a sudden 0 to 100 and back to 0...

I've reinstalled and updated my drivers but that doesn't seem to help, would greatly appreciate any advice on how to move forward into solving this.

Thanks a lot

5 Replies
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

Was this always a thing, or is it a recent development?

It could be a bug in Windows causing something to task your GPU during sleep mode. I honestly haven't had this issue but I have heard people complaining about things like this recently.

I would run DDU in safe mode restart and reinstall current drivers.

If that doesn't work I would run Command Prompt in administrator mode and use the sfc /scannow command to see if the Windows file system has any corruption, restarting after this finishes.

I would then try running the DISM commands. 

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

in that order.

Are you using any third party programs to control fan curves like MSI Afterburner or AORUS Engine?

If all of this doesn't work I would reinstall Windows.

I can't really offer a real solution but I hope this all works out for you.  

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB

I tried all of the above [except reinstall win 10] and it passed without error..

Does reinstalling winnows really necessary? Are there maybe other suggestions

Thank you

0 Likes

Hi @Arigo26 

I know you said this happens when your monitor is in sleep mode, but it also happens that when leaving a game on and the monitor goes into sleep mode, Windows will enable triple buffered VSync for the game, meaning it runs untapped at as high framerate it can go.

This will cause the GPU to heat up quickly and require fan-speeds to go max.

The other scenario is that your thermal paste is not optimal any more and certain sections of the GPU chip gets too hot, causing the fans to burst.

This might not be your situation, but just wanted to put it out there.

Another scenario might be that it is a driver bug from AMD's current drivers.

Kind regards

Fan doesn't get to 100% even when I play my most GPU demanding games... And I curently don't have any games on the computer.

Any more ideas? This problem is as annoying as it can be

0 Likes

It is likely a driver issue then, since our cards (Polaris/GCN 4th) is experiencing driver crash issues with Ryzen systems.

I have currently gone through the effort of swapping my whole system & RX 480 back with my FX 8350 & motherboard, since the driver issues with my Ryzen 5 1600 was getting unbearable.

I suggest if you have a spare system around, that you test if the same issue happens with your RX 570 in that system, I am betting it is the combination of GCN and Ryzen.

Kind regards

0 Likes