cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Graphics

moises08
Journeyman III

Can i restore this rx5500xt?

Hello. I have stumbled across a good deal on RX5500xt, which i searched, i decided to buy it and repair. It cost me less then half of a used but non problematic unit, so i want to know, if i can repair this card and if it is actually worth it.
The problem is infamous Black|Grey Screen of death.
I have my main workstation PC with two OS - windows 10 and ubuntu. Other specs are lga2011 dual xeon e5-2643v1, 16gb ram, hynix m2 and other not worth mentioning. My PSU is old but good 500W Chieftec with plugable cables, can't remember exact model, but 95% it is not the case here.
The seller said that it has driver instalation problems. Yes, when i try installing AMD drivers in windows 10, the screen normally blinks 2 times, and on 3rd time it stays grey forever, untill i reboot. After reboot, windows loading freezes. Ubuntu loading freezes two, actually i didn't even manage to boot it - while windows boots fine after deleting AMD driver in safe mode.
I tried installing my copy of windows 11 21h2, after installation, when showing windows logo and trying to load - again forever grey screen of death.
I tried resetting vram and reflashing bios (rx5500xt has only one bios available, which it shipped with).
Tried atikmdag patcher. It showed patching OK, but also no result.
Tried running Passmark benchmark, running bellow 1fps (understadable, no driver), but it runs, and no grey screen, so it is not overheating under extreme heavy-torture load.
Tried to diagnose with open source software Hardware Info, no temperature data available. The GPU is warm, but it is my first gaming GPU (previously had a low-cost hd7750 from 2012), so i think it is normal. Tried switching between perfomance and silent mode. Still the same.
3D info says it is original rx5500xt, no warnings.
Tried the most stable driver version of Adrenalin 21.5.2. Tried autotool from AMD website, which downloaded the enterprise (?) driver version. Still the same.
Yes i know it has high possibility of being mined on. So the question is simple - is it 100% that it was backed under heavy mining load? If so, i realise resoldering the chips is not worth it, i am better off buying new or used in working condition card.
Or are other variants possible here? What can i do and should i restore it or it is simply not worth it?

0 Likes
2 Replies
moises08
Journeyman III

Anybody?

0 Likes

First if you are going to repair the GPU card by yourself getting parts (electronic/electrical parts) may be a problem. you may need to cannibalize parts from another similar or same GPU card to fix your card.

Many of the electronic components are not sold to the public.

Second if you are going to send in your GPU card to be repaired it will probably cost you as much as the price you paid for your used  GPU card in parts and labor. But that depends on how simple or complex the repair job will be.

If you believe the GPU card was used for Mining then most likely it has a BIOS made for mining. I would go to TechPowerUp VGA BIOS Data and download the specific Manufacturer's Make & Model BIOS version and try using that to replace the mining vBIOS on the GPU card: https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/

Here is an example for the link I posted from TechPowerUP site: https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/?architecture=AMD&manufacturer=&model=RX+5500+XT&interface=&memT...

Screenshot 2022-12-14 125831.png

The link also has it own vBIOS installation program for AMD GPU cards and instructions if you have a bricked GPU Card to upload the vBIOS in that condition.

Once you get the correct original vBIOS installed now see if you still get the grey screens and if AMD Driver installs correctly.

EDIT: if you don't know the exact Make & Model of your GPU card post an image of the stickers showing the various data concerning your GPU Card.

0 Likes