cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Graphics

Coppas
Journeyman III

6950 XT - Games crash once then become unlaunchable

Newly built computer. Been benchmarking etc, all temps been pretty normal nothing above 73c for GPU and 78 for CPU, both around mid 60's while gaming. Applied light GPU overclocks and undervolting for GPU+CPU.

However after playing RE4 on my new setup for about 4 hours (Flawless no issues) the game crashed once with a fatal error to desktop and from then on I can barely get past the main menu without experiencing the same error. and crash to desktop Ok maybe just a wierd issue with RE4... Moved on to play Lies of P, no issues game runs flawlessly. Next day after a 2-3 hour session of Lies of P Game crashes to desktop with a game error and AMD driver timeout error. Relaunch and get the same issue were the game almost instantly crashes on main menu and can't get passed that.

I have reinstalled GPU drivers in safe mode AMDcleanup, without Adrenaline software etc. Disabled MPO. Turned off all OC and Undervolting. EXPO on/off. Clear shader Cache. Steam Verify Files

This is really weird, Baldurs gate 3 still launches and plays fine, so does TF2. But RE4 and Lies of P are both auto crashes at main menu despite being perfectly fine prior to first crash. I can notice minor artifacting in LoP menu before it crashes. Can't really find anyone with a similar issues. Any help is much appreciated.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D

MOBO:  MSI MPG b650 edge

MEMORY: G,Skilll x5 32gig DDR 5-6000 CL 32

GPU: XFX Speedster merc 6950 XT

PS:  Corsair Rm850x gold

STORAGE: Crucial 2TB P3 Plus

FAN: Noctua NH-D15s 

0 Likes
4 Replies

How exactly are you under volting the cpu? I do not recommend a static under volt via bios as cpu load changes too rapidly in gaming for that to be effective. Instead try using precision boost over drive and curve optimizer via bios. I run a similar set up to yours and set PBO in bios to advanced and run curve optimizer at all core -18 then set manual temp limit to 86C to ensure thermals do not affect stability. Never crashes and powers through the most demanding games I throw at it. The two games your having trouble with after the crashes you experienced may have file corruption that's causing them to not start correctly if they are steam games you can verify the file integrity via the steam app and same for UBI soft  games. GPU under volting can be very trial and error as well and will incur the occasional crash to desktop so small increments are highly recommended. I prefer to work backward from stock voltage in 10mv increments but there are many online guides that have good info on that topic. Hope this helps and good luck OCing.

0 Likes

Hey, thanks for the response, I was indeed using PBO and curve optimizers to under volt cpu from bios. I also have tried steam verify file integrity for both games but to no avail.

It seems the OCing has no effect on the games instantly crashing at menu. I crash regardless of if I  tune  at stock or OC'd. It seems like something within some sort of profile is corrupted for these games because other games still work fine and these games also played flawlessly for a time.  My OC's where also stable through 3dmark benching and cinebench23. These games are significantly less demanding you would think.

I think it must be a driver issue. Trying old GPU drivers to see if that has any affect. Will see.

0 Likes
Coppas
Journeyman III

Fixed this - Turns out the stock base clocks for the card are just waaaaay to high.

Lowered the Max Freq to 2500 and undervolted the card and these games launched again, will wait and see on stability. Think the default clock was at 2648 or something stupid. CPU undervolting on and seems fine 

0 Likes

Great at least it's sorted and you can game without going insane now.

0 Likes