cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Drivers & Software

Dexter307
Journeyman III

Subtle flicker in openGL games when HDR and VRR are enabled

When both HDR and VRR are enabled there seems to be very noticeable flickering in that application. Disabling just one of these options causes it to go away. A few drivers ago openGL apps and games would use an exclusive fullscreen mode that would cause a black screen for around 5 seconds when either exiting/entering or when alt-tabbing. A driver made it so openGL stuff was now borderless windowed which solved the wait time, but now there is constant flicker which makes the experience worse than in older drivers. It is a subtle flicker, there aren't any black frames or anything, the brightness just flickers slightly. Also, if I make the openGL into normal windowed mode the flickering also stops. It only happens in borderless fullscreen.

The worst part is just how subtle it is. I can see the flickering at what individual thing I'm looking directly at on the screen, but in every other part of my vision I can tell its there. It makes me feel crazy. I know I can just make the game windowed and make the window full size, but it would be nice to not have that white bar from the window at the top of my screen.

My current system has a 7900XTX running the newest 24.1.1 drivers, though this issue appeared a number of drivers ago.

0 Likes
2 Replies
peruka93
Staff

What's the game(s) name?

0 Likes

Minecraft and the PC Port of Mario64, those are the only games I have that run using openGL

0 Likes