Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Drivers & Software

giulioamd
Adept I

Ryzen AI Drivers

Hello everyone,

I have just bought a new laptop and I could choose between the AMD and Intel version. Eventually I chose the AMD because I was enthusiastic about the new 4nm manufacturing process and the new chips AI capabilities. My laptop has a Ryzen 7 7840HS chip, which should have Ryzen AI cores built-in, according to AMD data sheet. However I can't find any references about it in my computer. The Ryzen AI demo on github says that to run the demo you should have updated AMD IPU drivers. However in my Windows 11 device list I don't have AMD IPU listed, and I couldn't find those drivers anywhere on the internet. Just for reference I have a Lenovo LOQ 16. On AMD website there's written that Ryzen AI may require OEM enablement. Does it mean that if I don't have AMD IPU device listed I will never have? If that's the case, why and how could Lenovo disable such a revolutionary feature that is embedded in the cpu die?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me figure this out

1 Solution
Hindesite
Adept I

It looks like IPU enablement is the responsibility of the OEM, and many vendors have elected to leave it disabled. Here's a thread of people discussing the issue in Lenovo Forums: IdeaPad-Pro-5-14APH8-Ryzen-AI - English Community - LENOVO COMMUNITY

It seems the best thing we can do is complain to the manufacturer of our device to release a BIOS update that enables IPU. 🤷‍

View solution in original post

4 Replies
quentonh
Staff

@giulioamd Thanks for posting.  FYI, another discussion around this is ensuing here:  AMD IPU Device not detected on 7940hs · Issue #5 · amd/RyzenAI-cloud-to-client-demo (github.com)

giulioamd
Adept I

Thanks for the update, I checked your link and it seems other people are having my exact issue with their machines. I will post anything useful also there

abdulmueid
Journeyman III

I have a GMKTec K4 Mini PC with 7940hs CPU and sadly I am having the same issue as you. There is no AMD IPU Device in Device Manager. I cannot even install the driver that came with the device.

Can someone from AMD please help enable the IPU Device?

Here is what my Device Manager looks like:

Hindesite
Adept I

It looks like IPU enablement is the responsibility of the OEM, and many vendors have elected to leave it disabled. Here's a thread of people discussing the issue in Lenovo Forums: IdeaPad-Pro-5-14APH8-Ryzen-AI - English Community - LENOVO COMMUNITY

It seems the best thing we can do is complain to the manufacturer of our device to release a BIOS update that enables IPU. 🤷‍