cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Drivers & Software

tanazzz
Adept III

Ryzen 5000 EDC bug Windows 11 fTPM workaround guide

As many of you PBO users might know, any AGESA version past 1.2.0.3c implements a feature (most likely a bug) that limits the VCORE max voltage when EDC is increased above default limits. Many speculate that this was initially meant to work only for the 5800x3D but due to poor coding it affected all 5000 CPUs.

Now this creates a serious issue for Windows 11 users who want to take advantage of their CPU's power because if you're not using one of the 2 latest BIOS versions and you don't have a dedicated TPM module you're going to get horrible systemwide stuttering with fTPM enabled. So you have to choose between running Windows 10 or running Windows 11 with suboptimal PBO settings because of newer BIOS. This almost led me to buying a dedicated TPM module until I found a simple solution:

You can simply disable TPM after you've installed Windows 11. Yeah, it actually is that simple. I was shocked when I found out. If you disable fTPM after you have already installed Windows 11 upon reboot you're going to get prompted to reset your PIN and login into your Microsoft account. After you do that your system works perfectly fine and when you check the TPM service you get this:

tanazzz_0-1678239833845.png

So in short the solution for Windows 11 users  is:

1. Install Windows 11 if you haven't already with fTPM enabled.

2. Flash 1.2.0.3c BIOS to get proper PBO EDC and voltage limits back.

3. Disable fTPM and go through the PIN reset procedure.

And voilla - you have both Windows 11 without stuttering and a functional PBO.

So what are the downsides to all this?

1. You're not going to be able to use BitLocker whatever the hell that is.

2. You'll be stuck on an older BIOS version ( not sure how this will affect performance in other ways).

3. I'm not sure if future updates will go through with fTPM disabled. If they don't I think you can just reenable it and then update.

4. If Microsoft decide to further implement TPM into future builds of Windows 11 this method might become obsolote.

So yeah.. here it is. AMD have been dead silent on the issue, have made 0 progress since it first appeared and it's about time we as users take things back into our own hands. If you do this method and have some issues feel free to comment below.

0 Likes
0 Replies