Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Drivers & Software

brunom12
Journeyman III

Radeon Pro VII drivers for windows 10 and sensors

Hello, 

I bought an AMD Radeon Pro VII but Im having some problems.

First I would like to know if Radeon Pro VII is the same as Radeon VII ? xD

Yesterday I couldnt install any drivers with 182 error , then I upgraded my ASUS motherboard BIOS and today I tried the autodetect software and still nothing..

The only driver I was able to install was the one from "professional graphics -> Radeon Pro VII "

The problem is that, for instance, in device manager the card is detected but in MSI Afterburner, the driver is not detected, the FAN is not detected, and OC controls and fan controls are disabled.

I dont know if the GPU is working properly or if I have somo hardware or compatibility problem

0 Likes
10 Replies

Radeon Pro VII is a Professional GPU Card and not a Consumer GPU card. You need to download and install Professional GPU card AMD Drivers from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/professional-graphics/radeon-pro/radeon-pro-vii/radeon-pro-vii

Screenshot 2021-02-13 165147.png

While the Radeon VII is considered to be a Consumer GPU Card thus it uses Consumer AMD Drivers and also uses Professional AMD Drivers: https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/amd-radeon-2nd-generation-vega/amd-radeon-2nd-generation-veg...

Screenshot 2021-02-13 165030.png

Also it is possible that MSI Afterburner isn't 100% compatible with the new Radeon Pro VII GPU Card even though it does support the Radeon VII GPU card.

0 Likes

Thank you, I did install those drivers, and then it worked and shows up on device manager, but I cant figure out how to check FAN speed, or GUP temp 

0 Likes

I know that in Adrenaline Settings AMD has Wattman that basically does the same thing as MSI Afterburner except it was engineered for AMD GPU cards.

Have you tried one of the free Monitoring software like HWInfo or SpeedFan or Open Hardware and see if it shows what you need to know?

I have GPU-Z and it shows everything that you ask in your previous reply:

GPU-Z.gif

This for a Nvidia 1070 GPU Card.

@fsadough  who is AMD Forum's expert on Professional GPU Cards can probably advise you on what program you can use to monitor Professional GPU cards if Wattman is not availabe in the Professional GPU driver package.

0 Likes

GPU-Z gives me this while playing:

https://imgur.com/a/w2wamcT

0 Likes

Don't know if that is normal or not for Professional GPU Cards.

But it seems like the Radeon Pro VII has 2 Temperature readings like the latest 6000 Series Consumer GPU Cards. Normal Temperature Reading and Hot spot.

Also it looks like you were stress testing the GPU card since it had 99% Load on it.

Anyways, @fsadough  is is the one that can help you with your questions concerning your Professional GPU card.

Note: FSADOUGH will probably reply on Monday if he isn't too busy with his normal schedules at AMD.

0 Likes

Yes, it was a stress test but what worries me is the fan 0% .. not sure if it's a bad reading or if it's reaching 97° due too fan issues

0 Likes

Yes I did notice that but I saw that it was showing the fan working under RPM which was 2281. It is possible wasn't able to show it under Percentage rather under RPM mode.

Just stipulating but maybe the Maximum Operating Temperature is the same as the Radeon VII Consumer GPU card which according to this tech site is 115C (Hot spot most likely): https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-radeon-vii/33.html

"When GPU-Z first exposed the "Hotspot" thermal sensor on Radeon Vega cards, AMD requested removal, and we compromised on a "off-by-default" setting. That's why I was surprised to see that very same sensor introduced in Wattman, labeled "Junction Temperature".

In their reviewers guide, AMD sheds some additional light on this new sensor. They have placed 64 thermal sensors in strategic locations all over the GPU die, which is twice the number of sensors found on first-generation Vega. The highest reading of all these sensors is called "Junction Temperature" and reported in Wattman. Radeon VII uses Junction Temperature for thermal throttling and fan control.

Just like on Vega, the reported temperature values are quite high, which might scare some less experienced users. Once Junction Temperature reaches 115°C, the card will start throttling a little bit to keep the temperature below 115°C. At stock, with our card, this doesn't happen during gaming—we saw up to 110°C Junction Temperature."

This is similar to the RX5700 and 6000 series GPU cards that has a Maximum Operating Temperature of 110C (Hot spot) at which the GPU cards start to throttle to keep temps at or below 110C.

So you GPU Hot spot of 97C is within the Max Operating Temperature for the GPU card especially for being in stressed conditions.

0 Likes

Thank you, 

The general temperature is also acceptable in my point of view.

Do you know if it's possible to change the settings with some software?

I still don't understand why msi afterburner doesn't recognize the driver or fan controls 

0 Likes

AMD Professional Drivers has a Fan Control feature to it.

As for changing the parameters of the GPU card to Overclock or Underclock or change voltages etc FSADOUGH would need to answer that.

With Consumer GPU Cards you are able to change the parameters using Wattman but with Professional GPU cards I don't know unless it is a Radeon Setting that is included.

Most likely MSI Afterburner is not compatible with Professional AMD GPU Cards. You can always open a MSI Support ticket and ask them.

0 Likes

With ProGFX you can only change the fan speed. Overclock or Underclock or change voltages is not supported