cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Drivers & Software

Core711
Journeyman III

Newest driver caused problems with youtube, reinstalling caused bluescreens

I use a Lenovo ideapad 5 14alc05 laptop with an Ryzen 5500U apu.

I updated amd software just yesterday, going from the august version (23.8.2) to the newest november version (23.11.1) using amd adrenalin. After the download finished I played a game and didn't have problems. But when I wanted to watch a video on youtube, the videos took too long to load, if they loaded they wouldn't countinue when I paused and played again. I tried playing youtube on Firefox and Edge, both had the same problems, firefox even froze.

So I tried cleaning cache, restarting my router, deleting my windows temp files, but that didn't work. I figured the newest driver might've been at fault.

I tried reinstalling the software using the files from AMD support website and when it reached near 100 percent, windows blue screened (I want to mention I wasn't present at my pc when I updated my driver so I can't say if that bluescreened as well, but Adrenalin showed that I had the newest version.) I tried doing a sfc scannow check and it said it found corrupted files and repaired them, but I still had problems watching youtube.

I attempted to roll back to the august driver but I had a blue screen again but this time I couldn't access Adrenalin as it displayed a message when I tried to access it. Then I tried to uninstall my driver using devices manager so I could attempt to install the august driver that way. During that, I went to youtube to see if deleting the driver would solve the issue and it did, playback worked fine.

Now I went ahead and got the august version installer running and it gave me an error message. Then I noticed that windows went from being stretched to normal, just like if a driver finished installing. Currently, I can access Adrenalin and it shows the august version is instlled and my Youtube playback works.

I honestly don't understand what happened. Did the driver just automatically apply when I tried to do install it after the deletion? And can I safely update the software to newer version without experiencing the same issues? I'll be using the august version for now since it works.

I'd appreciate any help.

0 Likes
0 Replies