cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Drivers & Software

MyMsTake
Journeyman III

Minecraft Bedrock Edition causing Adrenalin to crash and requires reboot to work again

As stated in the title of this thread, Minecraft Bedrock Edition (BE) randomly causes Adrenalin to crash.

I saw a post somewhere stating this could be because I have hardware accelerated video playing via browser on a second screen.

The crash causes both of my screens to turn black at first, then I see my cursor but can't move it, then black again, then my cursor appears again, my start bar will slowly load in but only the windows logo and built-in system tray items (and the system tray items are glitched), then repeat about 5 times between unmovable cursor and black screen before my drivers disable themselves and I'm left with just my 4k displaying in 1080p and unable to start AMD Radeon Software from my start menu (it gives me a popup error that basically tells me I need to restart for the drivers to work again).   This crash takes about 60 seconds estimated to stabilize from the start to the point of the drivers disabling themselves.
Adrenalin eventually asks for a bug report after the crash and before rebooting.  Restarting the PC after a crash makes everything normal again, as if the crash never happened.

This seems to happen when I have a web browser open and displaying on my second monitor (while playing BE.)  One time the crash happened while I had the browser focused.  This doesn't always happen, sometimes I can play for many hours and get no crashes, sometimes the crash happens within 30 minute of playing.  It has not yet occurred in the main menu of the game.  I can and do play newly released AAA games in 4K native resolution borderless-fullscreen with medium-high graphics settings and get a relatively stable 45+fps, I play a plethora of different games as well as run a variety of software and none of them have caused this issue, even when I crank their settings up to max or multi-task more than I should be able to handle.  I have played Minecraft Java Edition for countless hours on this machine with and without performance mods and have never had this issue.  BE is the first game I've played which causes my Adrenalin driver software to fail.  To any would-be snarky replies asking why I don't just play on Java Edition if BE causes problems:  I'm only playing BE because my friends bought a Realm on BE and I want to play with them

I have not yet tried to rollback any drivers, and there hasn't been an Adrenalin update since I started playing BE.  I updated my Adrenalin software shortly before installing BE for unrelated reasons, I'm going to start trying to fix this with a bit of googling and tinkering.

So far I have a few leads:

• Enable V-Sync in Adrenalin, disable it in BE via the options.txt deep in my AppData
    • I already disabled V-Sync via the options.txt and still crashes, but haven't tried enabling it in Adrenalin yet.
  • Clear gfx shader cache via Adrenalin
    • R.I.P. my shader cache ;o;
  • Close any browser tabs with hardware accelerated video (like YouTube) before launching BE and don't open any while BE is running
    • Playing Minecraft without my lo-fi is a unique form of torture.

SYSTEM INFO

Spoiler

Board - TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI)
CPU -
AMD Ryzen 9 3900 12-Core
RAM -
16 GB DDR4 @ 1064.5 MHz
GPU -
AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT
GFX RAM -
8 GB GDDR6 @ 1750 MHz

OS Version - 
Windows 11, version 23H2
GPU Software Version - Adrenalin 24.8.1

Multi-monitor setup:
I have two (technically three) screens connected to my pc, these are their names as listed in my device manager:

• LG HDR 4K
    • This is my primary display and the one which I normally play games on.
  • ASUS VX228
    • A 1080p monitor which I generally use for Discord, Spotify, a web browser, a notepad, and my start bar.
  • Kamvas 12
    • I leave this plugged in and connected but turned off unless I'm actively using it for digital art.

0 Likes
1 Reply
MyMsTake
Journeyman III

After some more testing I've found that playing on the 1080p screen is stable, but playing maximized on the 4k screen causes the crashes.

0 Likes