cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Drivers & Software

DudeousDude
Journeyman III

Magnitude of shader compiling stutters increased, possible reasons? Any similar experiences?

GPU: RX 6900 XT CPU: 7 7700X RAM: 32GB DDR5 MB: TUF X670E  OS: Win 11 Home 

Issue: While playing Elden Ring, which is known for some traversal and shader compiling stutters, I can get aforementioned stutters dropping frames to 20+ FPS. I didn't get this bad stutters almost a year ago with the game. Otherwise game runs 60 FPS smoothly on max settings. No thermal issues.

Yes, I understand fresh shaders do cause some stutters, but it seems most do not get them this badly and even I didn't get them like this before. So something has changed between then and now. Also this is not necessarily greatest problems to have, but it still impilcates something is wrong. If you have similar setup to mine I hope to hear if you had this kind of issues or not.

Some observations: Main core (Elden Ring mainly uses one core) shoots usage up to ~80% when compiling/traversal stutter happens. Stutters happen at certain points in the world (traversal) and can vary even on the same spot (1FPS to 20+ FPS drops), when touching bloodstains (renders other players as ghosts when they died) a stutter can happen (most likely due to player having armor/weapon which had a new shader).

Things I've tried (in orderish): Playing offline, reinstalling the game, changing my Windows profile name to not use accented characters, decreasing my curve optimizer, updated drivers from 24.1 to 24.2, reseting shader cache, deleting Elden Ring shaders from DXcCache, DDU and reinstall the latest drivers, DXNavi and Shader Cache registrery edits, making sure nothing crazy is going on with my hardware by running CinebenchR23, 3Dmark Time Spy and core cycling with OCCT.

In this case would you recommend: trying a driver from a year ago, multi hour stability tests, updating BIOS?

Any suggestions what could cause this or solutions? Any similar experiences?

PS. I had really weird incident during troubleshooting. After updating with Adrenalin from 24.1. to 24.2. the exact issues got worse: frame drops to 1FPS which caused momentarily freezes, newly loaded textures started flickering and lastly got BSOD from using a certain spell. This led me to DDU which fixed the situation.

0 Likes
1 Reply
DudeousDude
Journeyman III

Haven't tried to troubleshoot this that much past original post lately, but today I ended up monitoring GPU graphs while playing and noticed clock speed spiking down to 300-400MHz quite often. This led me to try to disable deep sleep features with MPT and I'm 95% sure that helped. There are the normal 1-3FPS drops from loading assests now. To me it seems when the clock speed drops aligned with asset loading I got the 20+ FPS drops which were the really bothersome stutters.

I'm interested what is exactly causing that since I don't think it should be happening in the first place? This was not a problem a year ago so something with the drivers messing things up maybe? Also doesn't disabling deep sleep features end up using more power when idle?

0 Likes