cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Drivers & Software

Necronomis
Journeyman III

Driver timeouts - 7900 XT

I have been experiencing a large number of issues with drivers for the 7900 XT, across multiple driver versions. Driver-side features seem largely to cause instability, especially RSR. Turning RSR off fixed many of the issues, but I am still experiencing instability in a few games, most recently with Morrowind of all games. Driver timeouts occur randomly, there is no apparent reason or cause. I have experienced them in both internal and external cells, both within a cell's boundaries and when loading new cells. I have experienced them within 5 minutes, and I have had the game go without issue for multiple hours before a crash occurred. I have tried multiple driver releases, and used DDU in safe mode to strip drivers and reinstall. I have tried installing drivers with Adrenaline as well as driver-only without Adrenaline. I have tried stock GPU settings as well as overclocked, including much higher allowable voltage than the GPU needs or will attempt to draw. I have attempted increasing max power delivery. I have run the GPU at much lower clocks, down as low as 1400mhz. I've seen crashes occur at both high and low temperatures. I have tried limiting the FPS to 60 (which in this case reduces GPU usage to somewhere around 11%, so it's barely even running at that point).

This does not appear to be a machine stability issue, as other games that are far more resource intensive, and push my system to much higher utilization will operate perfectly fine. I've played through Plague Tale: Requiem and Dead Space with no problem. I have run CPU, GPU, and combo stress tests for extended times with no issues. I have updated my BIOS to the newest version and that does not seem to have helped either.

The only thing I can think of that I have yet to try is to turn off RAM XMP profile. I am willing to try it, but why would my RAM speed, which is stable in all other applications, cause my GPU to timeout in only some applications? 

Does anybody have any insight, or any other solutions that could fix this issue?

0 Likes
1 Reply
Necronomis
Journeyman III

MGE was set at 16x AA. Most cards can't support beyond 8x. After adjusting my AA settings to 8x, haven't had an issue.

Another game that was having issues was Sons of the Forest, which I fixed by turning of ULPS.

No other outstanding issues at this time.

0 Likes