cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Drivers & Software

Amd_km_dag_1965
Journeyman III

Device not started (amdkmdap): Could not successfully install any AMD graphics driver.

Since the feature update to windows 10 version 20H2 (19042.1288) , everytime i try to install any new AMD display drivers and software to my old r9 380x graphic card (the last supported driver for this card was the Radeon-Software-Adrenalin-2020-21.5.2-Win10-64Bit-LegacyASICs-June21-LEGACY) the same problem happen.

The message showed that the installation would not be completed: "Device not started (amdkmdap)" in the event viewer and event section of device manager.

I have no problem installing AMD driver before this Windows update. All stated :" Device started (amdkmdap").

I have also tried AMD Cleanup and DDU in safe mode before installing, but nothing works pls help.

I have tried over 5 different versions of AMD Radeon software Adrenalin, but none of them works, All show the same message:

"Device PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6938&SUBSYS_22C81458&REV_F1\4&1da95f35&0&0019 had a problem starting".

"Device not started (amdkmdap)"

One thing I noticed was after installing display drivers (downloaded directly from AMD website). Windows 10 immediately re-install an old version of the graphic driver (27.20.1034.6) and that installation is also show the message "device not started". I now have blocked the Windows 10 update of drivers via System poicy editor. But the next installation of AMD display drivers keeps showing the failed messages. 

Strangely, all games run fine, no crash at all, the peculiar was the gamma, brightness of the desktop and in game is totally screwed up (washed out as if there is a certain filter (orange or yellow tint) applied. I think the anomalies of display is due to the driver has not been started properly.

I could not unroll/uninstall the said Windows update as more than 10 days have passed since the update.

The full error meaasge is:

Device PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6938&SUBSYS_22C81458&REV_F1\4&1da95f35&0&0019 had a problem starting.

Driver Name: oem6.inf
Class Guid: {4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
Service: amdkmdap
Lower Filters:
Upper Filters:
Problem: 0x0
Problem Status: 0xC00000E5

Your help to successfully install the drivers is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Regards,

1 Reply
rowdy
Journeyman III

Hey did you ever get this squared away? I ask because I have the same problem!

0 Likes