cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Drivers & Software

baskak
Journeyman III

Crashes and issues with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200

It's a Windows 7 64-bit Lenovo ThinkPad Edge 14 E40 (upgraded to AMD Phenom II N970 Quad-Core 2.20 GHz and 8GB RAM) with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200 (according to the Device Manager) (however I believe I've seen 4250 detected at some moment, too)
According to the manufacturer's website it should be amd ATI mobility radeon M92-S2 XT w/512MB
I'm getting changing hues (like two different color themes, similar to night and day profiles on iOs),
random "EXT_framebuffer_object extension was not found" errors (also on unplugging the power supply), system crashes (attached).
Catalyst Control Center (2013.0429.2313.39747) doesn't seem to indicate any video hardware at all (although I remember it showing one a few months ago), and states "no AMD graphic driver (...) is installed" at startup, even though I installed appropriate drivers from
AMD website and even though I did auto-detection/installation via the Adrenalin software.
Lenovo System Update shows AMD Graphic Driver for Windows 7 (8.722.0.0) as available (optional), but after installing it it shows it available again, repeatedly.
Windows Device Manager claims optimal driver is installed (8.632.1.2000 ATI Technologies Inc.).
Also I'm getting the "too small screen area" issue on external screen, would appreciate a fix for that.

0 Likes
3 Replies

First:

** Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 must be fully updated before attempting to install any AMD driver. All 'critical', 'recommended', and 'optional' (no language packs,etc) updates as well as any Service Packs (SP) must be installed before any attempt to install graphics drivers. If you do not get this message .... keep installing until you do:

You have a HD4530 graphics chip:

AMD Drivers and Support for Radeon, Radeon Pro, FirePro, APU, CPU, Ryzen, desktops, laptops 

0 Likes

First I would contact Lenovo Support to see if your laptop support the Phenom II Quad core CPU since according to the specs for your laptop it shows the following: Detailed specifications - ThinkPad Edge 14 / E40 and Edge 15 / E50 - US 

It is possible your current Phenom II is not totally compatible due to not having the proper BIOS to support it.

I am unable to go to Lenovo Support download page because your Laptop doesn't come up. Can you give a more accurate Model number ?  If not post the serial number or download and install a free program called SPECCY to get all the data concerning hardware and software installed.

Trying to see what BIOS supports your CPU and if it has an updated BIOS, CHIP Set, and Video Driver available.

According to your Chip set you have either a  HD43xx or HD45xx GPU card installed. It is considered to be Legacy and Not supported by AMD with anymore new Drivers. The last Windows 7 driver was from 2013 as per the previous link in the previous comment. From TechPowerUp Website concerning the ATI M92 GPU card: ATI M92 GPU Specs | TechPowerUp GPU Database 

If Lenovo Support has a Driver from 2013 it is best to install that driver than AMD generic laptop driver. Lenovo would properly identify your Laptop GPU card and will be 100% compatible.

If you do install the Lenovo Driver and everything works correctly than try to update the driver using AMD laptop driver and see if it still works correctly.

0 Likes

Given that Windows 7 is already generally deprecated you might want to upgrade to Windows 10 while the getting is good.

Windows 10 still activates Windows 7 and 8 keys fine

0 Likes