cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Drivers & Software

Aexior
Journeyman III

Black screen while trying to play games

I'm not exactly sure when this started but for at least a good month or 2 my PC has been giving me random black screens at random intervals. This used to be anywhere from 1 to 2 hours into a game or it wouldn't give me a black screen at all for a few days. However, for the past week or so it's been giving me black screens whenever I boot up a game in around 5 to 15 minutes of playtime. This will repeat up 'till 3 times max, after it gave me a black screen up to 3 times the sound of the game will stop working as it's supposed to, it makes a strange noise (imagine a crashing sound, of the sound). After the sound "crashes" my PC freezes entirely, forcing me to reboot the system. I've checked whether my GPU/CPU's temp. is too high, which I find unlikely. At most I've seen it go up to 55 degrees Celsius. I'll provide a link of my Speccy snapshot for additional information about my hardware. 

I've tried finding solutions on the internet as well, with no success at all. I can only assume this is driver related, so I've downloaded the AMD Radeon support tool to automatically uninstall all my drivers and reinstall them to the latest version. I'm not entirely sure what information I should provide aside from all of this, if there's something I should provide aside from this I'll be more than happy to. 

CPU - AMD FX-8320
GPU - 3072MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series (ASUStek Computer Inc)
MTB - ASRock 970 Pro3 R2.0 (CPUSocket)
RAM - 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 573MHz (8-8-8-20)
AUDIO - AMD High Definition Audio Device

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/1pXJBURA2DMRb3nIOviE1yJ

0 Likes
4 Replies

Raising your Power Limit Slider to its max may help the stability. 

I have had horrible stability on my HD 7950 with all of the 2020 drivers. I would try a 2019 driver and and see if that helps at all.

If you regress the driver run DDU before installing the older driver. 

0 Likes

I'm kind of a noob to the whole driver stuff, could you maybe explain how to get to the power limit slider? And where could I find the older versions for my graphics drivers? Hope it's not too much trouble, 

Thanks in advance!

0 Likes

No worries I will be glad to help.

The following page shows where those settings are, near the bottom of the page:

https://community.amd.com/t5/blogs/performance-tuning-with-radeon-software-adrenalin-2020-edition/ba...

Worth mentioning is the Power Limit slider will have to be reset if the driver crashes or is changed. So if it helps and the issues start again. Make sure it is still set, as it could have returned to defaults. 

-------------

I would suggest trying to install the drivers from scratch again as sometimes things just corrupt.

Have the driver downloaded from AMD

Download and run DDU from wagnardsoft dot com from safe mode with Internet unplugged or wifi off. 

Restart with Internet still disconnected.

Install the AMD driver but don't pick express install. Choose the"Factory Reset" option.

See if that helps

You can get any of the old drivers from GURU3D.COM. AMD hosts from the past several months but none earlier than that. 

The 19.9.3 driver works well on my older cards. 

Link to their AMD download page: https://www.guru3d.com/files-categories/videocards-ati-catalyst-vista-win-7.html. 

0 Likes

Heya,

While I've successfully managed to do the power slider option I struggle at the driver installation process. 

I've done as u said, download the driver and DDU, opened DDU in safe mode with my net unplugged, booted into safe mode with net unplugged, installed the driver but my net was still unplugged here (as I downloaded it before hand).

At this stage I opened the program after it was done extracting and only find myself able to click express install or custom install, as I shouldn't click on express I decided to try the custom install in the hope of getting to the factory reset. When I click on it however I am told the following message "Failed to load the detection driver."

What should my next action be?

0 Likes