cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Building

Amber_AMD
Community Manager

Upgrading my partners PC - Christmas gift :)

Hey everyone! 

This Christmas, I told my partner I would help upgrade his PC as his gift. Really hoping for some good sales on Black Friday and Cyber Monday! (I'm a really good gf, I know)

Here's his current setup: 

• Case:  BitFenix Enso Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case
  • CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X
  • CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i RGB PLATINUM 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
  • GPU:  MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB Video Card
  • SSD:  Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive
  • Power Supply: EVGA 600 BQ 600 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply
  • Motherboard:  Asus Prime X470-Pro ATX AM4 Motherboard
  • Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory

IMG_7853.jpgIMG_7530.jpg

Here's what we've discussed and what we're planning to upgrade to which would be his final setup: 

What do y'all think about what we're planning? Any recommendations on CPU coolers or power supplies? 

Best,
Your friend at AMD
PC specs | Twitter | Red Team Discord
6 Replies
rtbh99
Challenger

i always use this resource when choosing my power supplies now: PSU tier list 

is the current cooler not offering enough performance?

---
lets talk about rtbh99

The current cooler is okay, but he's had some heat issues which is why we wanna upgrade to the 3-fan radiator rather than a 2. He's also a mid-ATX tower right now and wants to upgrade to a full ATX build for better airflow and more room. 

Thank you for the link on PSUs 🙂 I'll take a look through and see what it recommends

Best,
Your friend at AMD
PC specs | Twitter | Red Team Discord
0 Likes
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I recommend adding another SSD for storage, basically a gaming drive to keep the system drive from filling up.  Can you insert a second M.2 drive into the motherboard?  If not, then a SATA SSD would work well, perhaps one with 2 TB of storage.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

For PSUs I recommend the Corsair RM850x 850watt fully modular PSU. Make sure it is the newer model as they did a refresh a little bit after I bought mine.

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
mengelag
Volunteer Moderator

I have the 5950X and am running the corsair 280mm H115i Elite CAPELLIX Cooler and it keeps it nice and chilly. Worth looking at. I personally only buy Seasonic power supplies now, but really any of the RM/ HX Corsairs are good and EVGA makes some good ones as well. If you stay Gold plus you should be good. That link @rtbh99 mentioned is pretty awesome

Ryzen 7800X3D - RTX 4090 FE - ROG Strix B650E iGaming - 64gb 6000mhz G-Skill Neo - Noctua NH D15 - ROG Loki Platinum 1000w SFXL - 4TB Samsung Gen. 5 NVMe - Fractal Torrent Case - ROG PG48UQ OLED
Vynski
Exemplar

I would strongly recommend an X570 board, ASUS or MSI.  

I really like the looks and specs of that Hyte Y60 case.😃

I was just on my local BestBuy and they have both EVGA or Corsair 850W for $130 and $140 respectively.

Famous last words of a RedNeck "Hey Ya'll, WATCH THIS"