cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Building

Ecko
Journeyman III

threadripper 2990wx low performance

Hello, I have a 32-core threadripper 2990wx processor installed in windows 11 and honestly I am disappointed with this microprocessor, it is a very expensive processor and it gives very low performance... before I had a threadripper-1900x and it performed better than this one that is worth it 10 times more expensive... is this normal? is there something i'm doing wrong? will my microprocessor be damaged? Here I leave a small test performed on the processor:

test.jpg

0 Likes
6 Replies
Ecko
Journeyman III

Ecko_0-1666686052131.png

0 Likes
MADZyren
Paragon

Of course you checked benchmarks related to purpose you plan using it, before buying an old CPU?

Depending on use, it is as fast or remarkably faster than 1900X.

0 Likes
Ecko
Journeyman III

I use the PC for many things, including programming and playing video games, the latter is where I feel that it is going very slow, now my computer is experiencing downtime that it did not receive before and I am desperate trying to find the solution, my PC has a custom liquid cooling, an msi x399 gaming pro carbon ac motherboard, Liquid Devil AMD Radeon™ RX 6950 XT 16GB GDDR6 graphics, and 32 gb of ram memory, a €5000 pc is so that it would not give any problem and yet it performs like a 300 pc €...

0 Likes

Threadrippers are not really for gaming as gaming almost always requires not only fast single core performance, but also low delays between chiplets in models that have more than one. That model has four, I think.

Threadrippers as the name suggests is great when task can be divided into many simultaneous threads and processed in parallel. Games are fairly limited in this respect.

I have to ask again, why didn't you read about the expensive prosumer product you bought, before buying it? 

You should benchmark some game/games and experiment with game mode, which can be enabled from Ryzen master. It basicly uses less cores at higher speed to enhance gaming, but still - being an old, low clockspeed, multichiplet CPU (essentially a server type CPU), it is never going to be fast in gaming type scenarious. Here is one test which includes gaming benchmarks of that model https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_ryzen_threadripper_2990wx_review,23.html 

Maybe you should keep that machine for productivity task it was designed for and get some 5600X or similar for gaming and move that GPU there. Just get some basic GPU for that TR-machine. You could also use remote desktop to connect to TR from your cheaper computer so you can use a single keyboard, mouse and screen for both. 

Mouse without borders

If you have more than one computer, this is a great, free piece of software from Microsoft Garage, which allows you to control many computers and their screens with one keyboard and mouse seemlessly. I just don't get why they don't advertise it more. It is great https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/garage/wall-of-fame/mouse-without-borders/ 

Ecko
Journeyman III

Thanks for the reply, I bought this microprocessor because I have a server mounting on this machine and also use it for gaming, I have been reading that the AMD Ryzen Master tool has a mode called dynamic local mode, but when installing Ryzen Master, I get the error:

Ecko_0-1666703441319.png

I have removed the CMOS as mentioned in some posts and disabled the VBS option but I still get the same error and I would love to try that mode to see if it improves performance.

0 Likes

Use AMD uninstaller and reinstall the whole thing.

0 Likes