cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Building

VorteXD31
Journeyman III

Ryzen 7 8700G Ram OC fail

Hello. I was hoping someone could give me a hand with this little problem.

I recently built a PC with this processor and I'm trying to OC the RAM, since it's frequency directly impacts on the performance of the Radeon 780M and it's gonna take a while until I can buy a nice graphics card.

Thing is, I got a 1x32 6000Mhz DDR5 Kingston Fury (which by default runs at 4800Mhz) and whenever I try to actually use the 6000Mhz frequency (or pretty much anything over default, with EXPO profiles or manually selecting the frequency and/or timings), after turning on the PC it correctly enters OS and then, after couple seconds or minutes, it stops sending image to the screen. Just like that. No errors, no BSOD, PC doesn't turn off and it keeps working (ie downloading stuff), but I have to restart it in order to see image again.

I've discarded hardware issues such as the HDMI cable, Window's Memory Analyzer shows no errors on the RAM itself (plus there's no issues if I don't touch the frequency settings, +48hrs tested), I've assigned 16Gb to the Vram, "Power Down Enable" disabled, no heating issues, all drivers up to date, latest BIOS, "Memory Context Restore" disabled, Max GPU Boost Clock Override at 200Mhz and it all works fine, but If I touch the memory frequency It just goes "Nuh-Uh".

Please if someone can give me some advice or has a couple ideas it'd be really helpful. Maybe I'm not taking into account something... Perhaps another RAM stick?

PC specs:

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-E GAMING WI-FI

Processor: AMD RYZEN 7 8700G W RADEON 780M GRAPHICS.

BIOS: 3035 x64 compiled 09/05/2024

RAM: Kingston Fury Beast DDR5, 6000Mhz, 32Gb non ECC

SSD: XPG Gammix S70 Blade, 2Tb

PS: Yeyian Pegasus 80 Plus Gold, 850W

Processor cooling: Deepcool LS720 AIO liquid cooling

2 Replies
FunkZ
Grandmaster

What BIOS version is on your motherboard? There was an FCLK bug with early BIOS versions.

Is your memory XMP or EXPO rated? 1x32 single channel is definitely bad for performance.

I've seen testers use DDR5-6400 and as high as 7200 with the Phoenix processors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzG5hqDXO20&t=410s

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
Ryzen R7 5700G | B550 Gaming X | 2x8GB G.Skill 4000 | Radeon Vega 8 IGP
Ryzen R5 5600 | B550 Gaming Edge | 4x8GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 6800XT

Thank you for replying, FunkZ. 

I've got version 3035 of the Bios, released in the official Asus ROG page last 12/09/2024. I flashed it before installing the APU just in case.

About the RAM, Kingston's official page states that all Fury Beast DDR5 models have both XMP and EXPO certifications, so that shouldn't be a problem...

Perhaps adding more RAM could help. The plan was to add another 32Gb stick later on, I just didn't think It'd be a requirement for overclocking. Maybe it has something to do with the 780M integrated graphics.