cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Building

eebiii
Forerunner

Rebuild

Found my Icicle waterplate case and am going to do a rebuild with my existing parts from my current Fractal case build.

This time I am going to trash the 3.2 pump and replace with a D5 if I can make it work. Last time I built on this case I blew the pipe off the fittings, and that was with the 3.2 pump. I can't remember exactly how, but it was most likely my fault.  So not sure how this D5 is going to handle it. I guess I'll find out.

thumbnail_IMG_3952.jpg

13 Replies
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

We want to see lots of pictures as you go along.  Many of us have not yet built a water-cooled computer.  AIO's are easy to use, but they don't really count in my book.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
eebiii
Forerunner

Here is what I accomplished over the last couple days, (along with work and family duties) and I am good with the way it turned out. Switching the 3.2 pump with the D5 just makes me like this case even more now. The last time I built on this case I had the original 3.2 with PWM hand dial and it never sounded right. Always like it was going to blow and it became annoying. Now it is very quiet and purring right along. I was originally going to use 2 54mm thick Rads but I got frustrated one night and broke a g 1/4 connector in the threads and couldn't get them out. So went with two different ones.

My temps went up a little as I switched from a dual loop to a single loop going through four different channels in the water plate. I benched Firestrike, Time Spy, and Steel Nomad and temps went up around 7C on GPU and 10C on CPU. I am maxing out at 65C / CPU and 42C / GPU on 3dmark benchmarks, and I think most of that heat is when I am loading into the benchmark, otherwise I am averaging low 50's CPU. 

Enjoy!

Barrow Waterplate Case

X670e Tomahawk

7800x3d with EK Velocity block

64GB DDR5 6000

2TB M.2 FireCuda

EVGA 1000w PSU

7900xtx with EK Velocity block

2x 240mm Barrowch Radiators

4x 120mm Lian Li TL fans

EK D5 pump

Whole bunch of fittings

I put way too much in here. What a dust storm!I put way too much in here. What a dust storm!IMG_3954.jpgIMG_3956.jpgIMG_3959.jpgIMG_3962.jpgSome left-over parts for future buildsSome left-over parts for future buildsIMG_3965.jpgIMG_3976.jpgIMG_3980.jpgIMG_3982.jpgIMG_3983.jpgIMG_3984.jpgIMG_3985.jpgIMG_3988.jpgIMG_3989.jpgIMG_3993.jpgIMG_3998.jpgIMG_4029.jpgIMG_4030.jpgIMG_4031.jpgIMG_4033.jpgIMG_4037.jpgIMG_4046.jpgIMG_4054.jpgIMG_4047.jpg

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

That's very impressive, and you certainly move right along.  I don't quite understand that Icicle Waterplate behind the motherboard.  I see where you filled it, but then in the top picture it kind of disappeared behind all the other components.  

As for the temperatures, I'm surprised you saw a significant increase from the previous build.  Maybe the fluid isn't moving everywhere?

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
eebiii
Forerunner

Thanks @BigAl01 

It was going from having two loops to one. I knew I was going to see an increase in temps but I think I’m seeing a few more Celsius because of the loop going through all the channels in the plate.

I’m out of town for a wedding and I’ll be back this weekend and post some more pics

Wally_AMD
Community Manager

I'm a simple man. When @eebiii posts, I click. Always love what you do with your builds, my friend! Water cooling systems always make me nervous. Like Al said earlier, I cheat with AIOs and call it a win. 😂

Thank you! @Wally_AMD 

Awol
Challenger

Thats a sweet build @eebiii 

Thanks! @Awol 

mengelag
Volunteer Moderator

This is super cool man, I can't wait to see the finished product. @Wally_AMD  is right, when @eebiii builds I click lol. I'd love to see a how-to article in the forums on how to custom-loop your PC, but I think with all the options out there it might be a hard article to write.

Ryzen 7800X3D - Radeon 7900XT - MSI Tomahawk X670e MB - 64gb 6000mhz G-Skill Neo - Noctua NH D15 - Seasonic Focus V3 GX-1000W PSU - 4TB Samsung Gen. 5 NVMe - Fractal Torrent Case - ROG PG48UQ OLED

Thanks! @mengelag 

The custom loop is easier than you think. 
Reservoir to pump through blocks and radiators back to reservoir. Series loop. 
Now  this can be adjusted anyway your build allows. 
You may have a res/pump combo which takes care of the initial start to the loop.

Some people hit the Radiator before each component. So radiator to GPU and then loop to the next radiator before the CPU. I don’t think that matters much. Plus you may only have 1 big radiator in the loop. 

Try and make nice pipe runs from part to part. I tell most people that do it for the first time to use flex tubing because it’s easier to work with the hard pipe. Especially with the fittings. But with new prebent hard pipe, takes a lot of the work of having to bend it all yourself.

Fitting's are the real expense in the loops. You need connectors,  90’s, 45’s, extension fittings etc…

Reservoir / pump / radiators / blocks / Reservoir 

Done! 

Then you just have to hope that you tightened all your fittings tight and didn’t forget any o-rings along the way ( I have made every mistake ) Even when that happens, you can adjust. 

I have tons of extra parts. I could probably make a video or something.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

We need someone to create a 'How To' article on building a water-cooled PC.  Somebody with lots of experience.  Someone like @eebiii .....

mengelag
Volunteer Moderator

I think you're on to something @BigAl01 ....

Ryzen 7800X3D - Radeon 7900XT - MSI Tomahawk X670e MB - 64gb 6000mhz G-Skill Neo - Noctua NH D15 - Seasonic Focus V3 GX-1000W PSU - 4TB Samsung Gen. 5 NVMe - Fractal Torrent Case - ROG PG48UQ OLED
mengelag
Volunteer Moderator

I've watched quite a few build videos on how to do a custom loop. I think I could manage it quite easily. I've got quite a bit of build experience so I would just take my time doing it and double and triple-check everything. For me, it's more about the cost of everything. Living that budget life these days. Early retirement takes that ability to buy what you want when you want away haha. I will have to start acquiring things slowly because a custom loop is my best cooling option here where I am now in a tropical climate. That 7800X3D is a heat monster!