R23 test using Ryzen 5 5600g CPU temp hit above 95 Celcius

I just build new PC with these spec
CPU: Amd Ryzen 5600g using stock cooler
Mobo: Asus Prime B450 A II
Ram: 32gb kit
PSU Be Quite
Double fan 12CM
Casing Mini ATX
This only for home computer for basic purpose like browsing, coding and casual gaming.
I just curious why when idle this CPU hit >50 Celcius. is it because I just using stock cooler?
Gburnama_0-1677593355148.png
And also when I try test using Cinebench R23. CPU temperature hit >95 Celcius with Max 95.4 C

Gburnama_0-1677594082757.png

Are these normal thing for Ryzen processor? since mentioned in AMD site this processor could hit ~ 95 C during full load.
Please advise on my issue here,
Thanks

0 Likes
11 Replies

The AMD 5600g comes bundled with the AMD Wraith Stealth CPU Cooler which is the weakest of all the Wraith CPU Coolers.

Your temperatures under stress using that CPU Cooler are probably normal. The Wraith Stealth is fine for just normal computer use but will run hotter then normal under medium to heavy loads on the processor.

It is best to replace the Wraith Stealth with a better more powerful 3rd party CPU Cooler that is rated at the minimum of 150 watts TDP or higher to keep your processor running cooler and not overheating under Stress tests.

Sam_AMD
Community Manager

Hello, @Gburnama (Welcome to Red Team)! 

Before I forget, here is the link to the AMD Ryzen 5 5600G product page (I hope you'll find it helpful - lots of data there). 

When your PC is powered on the CPU will warm up as there are "tasks" running in the background. Some require more power, while others are "dormant" and only execute operations based on the "state" of your PC, all of which are managed by the OS. So, idling at 50C is possible (there could be apps running in the background). What you want to be aware of is when the temperature surpasses 95C. (Note, the PC will automatically turn off if this state persists). Also, 

Going with another FAN cooling solution will help. But be sure the product you purchase will "physically" fit in your mini ATX case (take measurements). Also, be sure to use thermal paste; this step is important. Moreover, your memory kit gets warm/hot as well, and the heat dissipated in the case does impact the rest of the components. 

In the end, I would not worry too much about your temps. In fact, I'm happy to see the Cinebench results match the  Tjmax of your CPU. Looking ahead, when running a compiler (I'm not sure which programming language you're using), keep an eye out on your temps. By the way, watching videos on YouTube does increase your CPU's temps.  

Sam
Your biggest fan!
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800XT

Thanks for your answer sir @Sam_AMD , @elstaci 
Yes correct for basic task like browsing multiple tab in browser, it couldn't spike the temperature. but ~55 C seems weird to me

Gburnama_0-1677637152240.png

I use python for ML and also Java programing language. and I think it wouldn't be cause problem since I don't work 3D rendering at the moment.
for temporary solution I put external fan to add better airflow.
and it's work to reduce temp until 5 degree.
Later maybe I would change stock cooler as suggested. and probably change the Case for better airflow.

Vynski
Exemplar

As @elstaci  said, the Wraith is not an adequate cooler for any PC doing more than browsing the internet.    Go to Amazon or BestBuy and get you a new cooler, either AIO or Air.  They have sufficient air coolers for around $50 that will support even a minor CPU upgrade.   BestBuy even has the Corsair H60X liquid system for under $80.

Famous last words of a RedNeck "Hey Ya'll, WATCH THIS"
Gburnama
Adept I

Hi All,

@Vynski, @Sam_AMD , @elstaci 
Looks like I found the problem , before I did scan virus using windows defender temperature could hit 55-61 C when idle.
After completed Windows defender scanning suddenly drop significanly. here temp when Windows defender was running

temp_scan_windows defender2.png

now after scan finished supprisingly it's drop to 30-40 C.

Gburnama_0-1677760165136.png

Windows defender found some trojan which related to COM Surrogate which also consume up to 3gb ram memory.
Now it's has been deleted and looks stable when Idle.
But my question , Is that normal for ryzen 5 processor could spike to 95 C when Antivirus scanning?
this is scanning for second time, and again temp hit almost 95 C

0 Likes

In my opinion, a processor shouldn't reach overheating temperatures with its CPU Cooler working correctly or is powerful enough under any circumstances.

I constantly do automatic virus scans with both Windows Defender and McFee Anti-Virus without any overheating issues.

All that shows is that your CPU Cooler is not powerful enough to keep your CPU from reaching overheating temperatures.

Either the CPU Cooler is not installed correctly, not working correctly, or it isn't strong enough for your processor.

Hi, no it shouldn't reach 95C. Please be sure to check that all fans are spinning/working properly.

Check the speeds of each fan in your motherboard's BIOS, especially the CPU Fan. Generally speaking, you'll want to make sure that the CPU Fan is set to max. 

And, as @elstaci mentioned, your CPU Cooler may not be powerful enough. 

One more thing, do you remember seeing if there is enough thermal paste between the fan and the CPU? 

Sam
Your biggest fan!
Gburnama
Adept I

Hi All, 

I'm getting worried with my PC I did Windows Defender scanning today, and saw this 
330W_WTF_3.png

How's that possible? 🤣. What maximum power this processor can handle btw?

0 Likes
Vynski
Exemplar

If you ran a scan and found a Trojan;  COMPLETE REINSTALL  after formatting the drive.  That should eliminate the system from retrieving any unwanted information.  However, after years of doing data recovery on HDD's, even after formatting that information is not erased until that block and sector are written over.  I have recovered data from formatted HDD's far more than once.  Even damaged drives.  If I could get them to spin up, I could recover data.  The easiest way to completely erase a HDD is a 44 magnum.

Famous last words of a RedNeck "Hey Ya'll, WATCH THIS"
Gburnama
Adept I

Hi All,

Thanks for your reply. I already fixed my issue above by updating bios version and change cooler to better one.
Now looks more stable even test using cinebench and firestrike. Temperature below 73 C and never hit 95 C.

cc @Sam_AMD , @Vynski @elstaci 

Sam_AMD
Community Manager

I'm glad you fix your issue. Thank you for letting us know. 😉

Sam
Your biggest fan!
0 Likes