cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Building

NortsBot
Adept I

Push/Pull on a Noctua NH-U12S in an NZXT H210?

Is there a point to doing this?  I have an Enermax Squa Argb fan on the rear exhaust, so putting a pull fan on the other side of the CPU heatsink seems like I'd barely have a gap before hitting exaust.  Would it help temps anyway?  It usually idles around 50C, goes up to upper 80s after an hour or so of gaming and stays there. 

I already have the fan from something else, so it isn't like I'd lose money on buying a new one, I just wanted other opinions before I opened things up.  Plugging in the fan headers is a nightmare in that tiny case for my sausage fingers.

0 Likes
3 Replies

I have a Push-Pull on my CoolerMaster hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler. In my case it does a very good job of keeping my 3700x processor (TDP rated 65 Watts with Maximum Operating Temp of 95c)  below 70c all the time under any loads.

I see Three advantages in having a Push-Pull Configuration:

1- Slightly better cooling effect of the CPU Cooler

2- Helps increase Air Circulation inside the PC case by having an extra fan inside the case.

3- If one CPU Cooler fan fails, at least you have the second one to prevent your processor from overheating.

Now in your case, if you have a small PC case where the second fan may not have enough room to operate properly in moving air through the CPU Cooler then I would suggest using one CPU Cooler Fan but replace it with a High CFM fan that rotates around 4000 - 5000 RPM. That would force a higher flow of air through the CPU Cooler heat sink.

0 Likes
FunkZ
Grandmaster

Depends what the specs are on the fan you're thinking of adding, and what kind of heat load you're throwing at it.

In a push/pull you want to closely match the two fans flow rate - otherwise they'll be fighting each other.

Noctua rates that cooler at 129 TDP, as long as your processor load is under that, additional airflow could be beneficial. If you're overrunning the heatpipes no additional amount of airflow will make any difference.

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
Ryzen R7 5700G | B550 Gaming X | 2x8GB G.Skill 4000 | Radeon Vega 8 IGP
Ryzen R5 5600 | B550 Gaming Edge | 4x8GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 6800XT
0 Likes
NortsBot
Adept I

I also run a 3700x in this.  I have a 2nd of the fan that normally comes on the cooler itself, a Noctua F12-PWM, so the flow rate would match exactly.  I think there would be about 1 to 1.5 inches space between the fans if I mounted it.  Interestingly, the CPU cooler and the rear exhaust fan line up almost exactly.