cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Building

Merman12
Journeyman III

Pc won’t post with expo enabled

Hello everyone. Recently I built myself a custom gaming pc. And as the title says, when I turn xmp/expo on in my bios the pc won’t post at all. 

my specs are as listed.

gigabyte b650 x ax gaming motherboard

ryzen 9 7950x

asus rog 4070 ti super 

128 gb ddr5 g.skill trident z5 rgb 6400 mhz 

Nzxt kraken elite 360 rgb aio 

Corsair rm850x gold psu 

I’m well aware the issues with running all 4 ram slots, and how it’s a bit unstable. But the mobo is advertised as being capable of 8000 mhz. But I can’t get it past 3600 mhz in bios. If anyone has some insight and can help. Please do so 

4 Replies
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I would take two sticks of RAM out and see if the motherboard can support EXPO for the remaining two sticks of RAM.  I would also look for a BIOS update for your motherboard and install that (maybe while only running two sticks of RAM) to see if does the trick.  Lastly, is your RAM listed as being compatible with your motherboard?

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

Thank you both for the reply, I’ll be trying this in my next day off of work. I did do the most recent bios update for my mobo not too long ago. And I just checked last night about my ram. And it is a supported ram kit for this mobo. I also couldn’t find anywhere in the bios where I can set my own custom profile for expo. I wanna try getting it close to 6000 mhz if possible 

FunkZ
Paragon

As @BigAl01 suggests, you will likely have better luck running at 6400 with only 2 DIMMs installed.

The motherboard may be built to handle up to 8000MT/s but it's the IMC in the 7950X that has to address that memory, and when you use 4 DIMMs it can't hit the higher speeds. Also the motherboard may be advertising higher memory speeds supported in upcoming Zen5 9000-series processors yet to be released.

The only 32GB modules I found on your board QVL supported in x4 DIMM configuration are these 4800MT/s Crucial.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B650-GAMING-X-AX-rev-10-11-12/support#support-memsup

FunkZ_0-1719669810847.png

https://www.amd.com/en/products/processors/desktops/ryzen/7000-series/amd-ryzen-9-7950x.html

FunkZ_0-1719586110680.png

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
mengelag
Volunteer Moderator

Does your MB Bios have a "try it" section for trying different RAM speeds and timings? Could try a few of those to see if a different speed and fabric clock work or try the second EXPO profile and see if that works because the second profile will generally load a more comprehensive set of settings. Just an idea...

Ryzen 7800X3D - RTX 4090 FE - MSI Tomahawk X670e MB - 64gb 6000mhz G-Skill Neo - Noctua NH D15 - Seasonic Focus V3 GX-1000W PSU - 4TB Samsung Gen. 5 NVMe - Fractal Torrent Case - ROG PG48UQ OLED