cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Building

petergr4ever
Adept I

Pc shutting down under load

Hello to anyone reading. (Sorry if i posted this on the wrong location, had a rough time selecting one)
About one year ago i started experiencing problems with my pc.

In many games, though not all, my pc will shut down after 10-15 minutes of running. First i suspected driver problems as i have a radeon 5700xt known to have driver issues.

After updating to the newest version and searching for an explanation, the problem wasnt solved. I have upgraded my motherboard and PSU, as i read it might be a possible culprit for shutting down under load, nothing was fixed. I think it could be a software issue as i have re-built my entire system after suspecting a loose cable on the motherboard or a loose connection on the GPU. If anyone can help me fix this i would appreciate it. My specs are as following:
CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x (cooled by a 240mm AIO, more than enough to keep it under 75 when gaming)
RAM: 4x8gb g.skill ripjaws 3200Mhz (XMP on)
GPU: Radeon RX5700XT Msi Mech OC edition
Motherboard: ASUS B550 plus TUF GAMING
PSU: Corsair 750W 80+gold RM750X
Windows 11 version 23H2 as of now.

Thanks

5 Replies
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I would monitor the GPU and CPU temperatures while gaming and see if you are getting above their rated operating temperatures.  You say the CPU is staying under 75 C while gaming, but what about the GPU?  Power supplies can also be tricky when under load.  It sounds like you already replaced your PSU and motherboard.  Will your computer run fine while not gaming?  Is it crashing with just one game or with any game?

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
0 Likes

Thanks for replying, 
My GPU temps are normally around 75-80 degrees avg. but hotspot temps or junctions can reach 105 at times. I looked into this a while ago and found out that temps of 105-110 are expected on my model of gpu and amd said it is not something to worry about.
I went back to windows 10 today but that seemed to change nothing.
Crashes happen only in-game but not in all games. In some AAA titles like Just Cause3 , i can play comfortably at 1440p 180+FPS for hours at a time with no interruptions. Some titles like Forza Horizon5 or EA FC25 can only work in the menus, because as soon as i load into an enviroment that stresses the gpu, it crashes. Sometimes in EAFC i can play for 15-20 mins uninterrupted, but sometimes the pc shuts down as soon as i load into a match.

I believe your GPU is getting too hot and crashing as a result.  You need to improve the cooling for the GPU, such as more airflow into the case that blows air directly onto the GPU.  Even taking the side cover off and placing a fan to blow air into the case can test if overheating of the GPU is the problem.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
0 Likes
morunok3
Journeyman III

The PSU you're using is a good model PSU. Unless it's faulty, I wouldn't think that's the problem. Does the PC turn back on after shutting down? Have you unplugged and reconnected all the PSU cables going to the motherboard?

I have. Everything is in place.

I formatted my pc so that i could go back to windows 10, and that didnt seem to do the trick.

The pc shuts down and i have to turn it back on afterwards